Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making the back lights up lights work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badassblazer03, Mar 4, 2004.

1. badassblazer03

badassblazer03 Registered Member

I have an 82 blazer that I have been rewiring and I finally got it workin but I have a manual tranny with a automatic wiring harness, How do i get the back up lights to work /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just wire it yourself with a toggle switch that way you can turn them on even if you are not backing up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. badassblazer03

don't think that will do the trick to get a sticker

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just wire it yourself with a toggle switch that way you can turn them on even if you are not backing up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

There is an additional harness on a 4 speed truck that just runs from (and clips into) the existing wiring harness where your switch is by the column to the switch on top of your 465. Look for one in a junkyard as it's the same on 2wd and 4wd.... It's the same color as the wire in your existin harnes, green and something if I remember right.

6. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

Yep, thor is right, you can just get a wire setup from a comparable year standard transmission truck and it will plug right in. My truck has a 2wd automatic cab from an 85 and the back up light harness from an 81 2wd fit right in place with no cutting or splicing, I didn't even have to put a hole in the firewall as it was already there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

Just unplug the auto backup light connection at the end of the steering column and add the manual harness to it. Should take 10 minutes. Worst part is standing on your head to work under the dash.

7. badassblazer03

Thanks guys, huge help, after my blazer is on the road i am never doing wiring again /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif