Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making tranny crossmember

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Feb 24, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Working on putting the 1991 465/205 in my truck. Having problems bolting up the stock later "double hump" stock crossmember.

First off, there are enough holes in the frame that I'd have to build some adapter plates or something since the holes start overlapping. I don't really like that idea much. Second, the original crossmember I had in there (1981 or so, "flat") hung roughly 4" below the frame rails. The newer double hump one hangs down 6". Everyone that knows me knows I don't wheel hard, but with 33's and no lift, I have dragged the older crossmember. (older crossmember)
    Ok this didn't go very far lol. :)

edit: I got the t-case bolted up, no way in heck you can use a straight crossmember. Front output flange hangs about perfectly halfway above/below the frame rail. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  2. dyeager535

So since the above didn't get any comments, let me try again, now that I'm going to run a stock crossmember. :(

I have both the later "double hump" and "single hump" crossmembers. Double hump I dislike, hangs down too far. I'll work around the bolt hole issue. Single hump might work. Especially since only the t-case side dips low from what I see. Wasn't able to line it up underneath yet though to check.

Noticed on the stock crossmembers (link in post above illustrates this) that you could probably cut about 2-3" off the "bottom" since it is essentially u-channel. That would weaken it, but if I cut that off, I could easily weld plate across to box it.

Any comments on frame flex/strength issues that might arise from doing that?

Anymore I feel that the crossmember isn't boxed, stock, so that it would twist and not tweak the frame.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    If your going to modify the stock mount anyway,why not go with a custom crossmember?

If anything a custom trans crosmember would help make the frame a little more "untweakable".

Just my 2 cents.

4. dyeager535

Well, I guess since I paid for the one crossmember, that comes into play when considering to spend more money on it. Then again, I have a piece of U-channel I bought that I can't use either. :)

Also, as designed, it looks like both stock crossmembers will clear my dual exhaust...not sure on the single hump one, but the double hump does for sure.

I won't completely ignore the idea of buying one, but who offers one that replaces the later short adapter crossmembers?