Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making woofer enclosure

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Muddytazz, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

How would I figure out a speaker enclosure size with these number?

Power (Peak Watts) - 1000
    Nom. Impedance - 4
    Voice Coil - 2"
    Fs(Hz) - 35.8
    Qms - 4.83
    Qes - 0.59
    Qts - 0.53
    SPL(dB) - 85.6
    Vas(cu ft) - 1.091

I know they aren't the best in the world, but I want to make them work for now the best I/they can. Enclosure will be made of 1/8" steel plate.

2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

uh what size are they?

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

oh duh, that might help :doah:

They are 10" subs
    Actual speaker measurements are:
    10.12" diameter
    5.94" overall depth

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

well if its a square box then simple geometry. HxWxL. if its all weird then u have to measure it out and figure in angles n stuff. IMO i wouldnt make a sub box out of metal though. it doesnt have to be exact either, just close. ull want some vibration dampner on metal too(dynomat,ect). u can make it about what ever shape u want too. example u can do 7" deep x 17" wide x 12" tall or what ever. up to u

also u looking to do a sealed or ported enclosure?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

It's going to be a sealed enclosure and it has to be made of metal cause I'm going to cut a rectangular hole in the floor of my burb and weld in a speaker box. That is why I'm trying to figure out how big to make the box as per the speakers.

6. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

There are some applications that figure out box sizes and such, don't remember their names anymore but a Google search should come up with them. Why a sub in the floor? Metal is a real bad choice for box enclosure material, I'd say you need to line that thing with alot of deadening material.

I've never seen a commercial speaker box made of metal because theres no resonance in metal, dont believe me? When was the last time you saw a metal violin? They arent made from wood because its easier than making them outta metal. And to take that to another level... different woods have different resonances, the subject is a deep one and I'm sure you have better things to do with your time... if you build this box from metal I'd love to hear how it works out for you.

Ok, heres an alternative idea... make a metal pan to hold the sub box in and make the actual box from MDF. Maybe mount it with a steel frame of somesort. I just think you'll be dissapointed with a metal box for your sub.

And as always... this is just my opinion and I could be and usually am WRONG :)

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My plan is to make the box out of metal cause it will be under the floor exposed to the elements of water, mud, you get the idea. BUT the inside of the metal box will be the actual wooden speaker enclosure.

8. tuffdogstudio

Great... sorry to go off on a rant there before about the wood and all :)

a quick Google found me this:
    http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/bcv.php

I think its free to boot.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

EVERYTHING has a resonance.... wood, metal, glass, butter, pancakes (mmmm, I'm hungry can you tell?)

Violins are made out of wood to "create" a pleasing resonance and to help amplify the sound of the vibrating strings. A speaker cabinet shouldn't do the same thing... Ideally, the cabinet would be completely "dead" and would allow the speaker to do it thing without adding coloration to the sound.

Metal will definitely vibrate (resonate) unless properly treated, but there's no reason you can't make a rigid sub box out of metal.... in fact, I intend to do this same thing in my K5.....subs in a metal enclosure and welded into the floor.

:wink1:

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What kind of speaker is it and what is the model number? The maker of the speaker will know what the cubic size of the box should be for a sealed enclosure. They will offer a range of size, the smaller the box the more punch it will have, the larger the box the deeper notes it will hit. It is generally a bad idea to build a square box. Boxes are easy to build and to make sound good.

11. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Metal will resonate....
    Someone mentioned there not being any metal violins out there, but guess what all those strings are made out of ? METAL...even for electric guitars, basses, cellos, mandolins, pianos etc. Some high quality strings are made out of gut still, but there are still alot of metal strings out there.
    They did make aluminums double basses back in the day for military use and travel. The wood didn't hold up to all the humidity and temperature changes.
    Blake

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

From what I understand, there will be mounted in the floor boards. Now just a thought, build the box(s) out of the wood most speakers boxs are built out of, then build the metal box around it/them.

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

ok the reason they dont use metal is its costs more and the metal flexes to much and not fast enough. so u get that retarded noise like u hear when some lame a$$ pulls up to u with the bass going and sounds like a giant bumble bee smacking the trunk. if its made out of thicker metal(maybe 1/4" and up) it will be fine, something that wont flex. then put some deadener in there. u wont need to line it with wood, up to u-just sucks up space. i say for a sealeed box it will sound ok, i dont think ure going for compitition-just looking for a solid punch to back up the tunes, right?

let us know and with some pics, im thinking of the same thing for under the back seat facing forward.

good luck

14. tuffdogstudio

mmmm.... pancake sub box :)

We are talking Car Audio here and the whole damn thing is a metal box with... ugh, glass everywhere... so on second thought... Steel boxes will prolly work just fine in the grand scheme of things :)

I was only trying to offer a simplified opinion on the musicality of enclosure material and got off track and failed to remember the enclosure is in a vehicle, and let my audio weenie side talk... bad audio weenie now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. :doah:

15. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I used to do fiberglass boxes, they work great. Just an idea

16. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I won't get to heavy into the debate on metal or not, because I think you have your mind set. But please do not put the sub on a paralel plane to any of the metal sides. The reflection and refraction is going to be hard to control.

I would recomend a fiberglass enclosure with a a skid plate if needed. We put them into floorboards all the time this way sometimes without the skidplate.

What model is the sub. What music do you listen to and what do you want out of the sub. If you get me that information I will get you the measurements needed for the enclosure. Do you want it to fit in a certain area... ie if you need it to fit into a 14" wide area but not cared about the length.

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I asked for the same info 2 weeks ago and he never did respond.

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I didn't respond with woofer specs cause I already have the specs to build what I need.

19. Stratispho

Stratispho 1/2 ton status

You'll be much happier building the box out of fiberglass and putting a skid plate under it. I put a metal sub box in the back of a 91 chevy per a customers request and it sounded like hell. used 1/4' diamond plate. braced it alot and used a roll on sound dampener and still flexed tons. Had a very different sound then an MDF or fiberglass box.
    I'm recommending fiberglass cuz it's waterproof and will hold up very well compared to MDF if it's in any sort of exposed enviroment. Fiberglass is much easier to shape and get a custom fit for tight areas (inside rear quarter panels work great for subs)
    Why don't you post some pics of where you'd like to put this box cuz thinking of the bottom of a Blazer I can't remember any good spots. Your best bet is still behind the rear seat or the inside of the rear quarter panel. most 10" subs can get away with about 1 cubic foot of air volume in a sealed box which is just about the size of the inside rear quarter panel... does stick out a little if you need/ want a little more air but still sits pretty flush.

20. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sorry, I'm not sure I believe that a fiberglass enclosure would be more rigid (and flex less) than a 1/4" steel enclosure...

Got any pics of the box you built?

Last time I measured, I found at least 3.5 cubic feet between the framerails where the floor steps up behind the front seats (1972 Blazer). If I relocate the gas tank more toward the center of the vehicle, I had also considered putting it in the resulting space in the very back as well..... :thinking: