Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making your own fuel cell

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by sled_dog, Dec 15, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How dto do it pretty much? I'm thinking to get the best CG and everything I'm gonna have to make my own cell. How do you guys plan to do it? Was thinking plate welded but how to seal cause I know I will have at least one leak with my welds.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Fuel Cell......like round, or cubular??? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If it were me and it were cubular-shaped, I'd build the whole thing except for the top. Start by welding up all the interior joints, then weld all those same joints from the outside too......that should pretty much guarantee no leaks.

Think about baffles and stuff too, though....and vent lines, feed lines, and a hole for the fuel sender, maybe a bung at the bottom to drain the gas if you ever needed to.

If you're going to build your own, you should really do some good baffling (though it might....uh, baffle you) Figure out what it would take to keep fuel in the pickup tube area NO MATTER WHAT angle the tank is on. I don't know how to do that....but I will figure it out before I weld the top panel onto my tank/cell.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

best thing I can think is to make it one large funnel. I am talking cubular.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, Ive seen those pickups, they are trick. Any reason why you couldnt use one of them in a plain rectangular cell that used perforated quart oil bottles for baffling? bottles stop to much sloshin, and no matter which way your leanin' the pickups are gonna pull fuel...

j

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    maybe a bung at the bottom to drain the gas if you ever needed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like a Bung hole /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any reason why you couldnt use one of them in a plain rectangular cell that used perforated quart oil bottles for baffling? bottles stop to much sloshin, and no matter which way your leanin' the pickups are gonna pull fuel...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was to use steel sheet to baffle the inside of the tank. It would also be used to reinforce the bottom so it could handle dropping onto rocks.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

where the heck do you get those pickups? The more i think I have to make my own cell, nothing out there seems it will be good in my conditions. Circle track tank I planned would be fine when off camber one side but lean the other side say goodbye to fuel.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You could use foam in it to baffle it. I haven't had any long term experince with foam but I know there are different kinds so get the right kind /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have experience with foam in my dad's race cars, it does help sloshing and all but you couldn't use those sliding fuel pickups with foam since the foam would press against them.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont most of them foams go to poop with el-cheapo street grade gas?

j