Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Making Your Own Fuel Lines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Oct 6, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Has anyone made your own "custom" fuel lines? I'm relocating my tank (short version of story) and will be making my own lines. So far my plan is to get some lengths of brake line from the autoparts store, a bender, a flare tool and some fittings. I just don't know what size fittings or line to get :confused: This is for a 1990 TBI set up. I was also wondering about the flexible line that currently goes from the engine to the frame rail...in my new scenario that will be all hard line, will this be a problem? (I am installing poly competetion motor mounts at the same time)

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Why not just run rubber hose? Cheaper & easier. Ive done this on a few occations. ran it right from the tank to the carb (and on my lt1 the fuel rails) just make sure its well supported and inside the frame rails and it should be fine. It should easily support the pressure for tbi too... i was running 40 + psi through my setup. tbi is low teens

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You unfortunately can't make the fittings GM uses. :(

Your best bet is to use the saginaw to -AN adapters.

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

AN is what I was thinking too. Note that AN flare is 37" while most automotive flare tools form a 45* flare. Might be able to flare it 45 and then form it back on a steel fitting, but better would be to pony up and get the correct flare tool.

You're going to want some sort of flex hose btwn the frame and the engine regardless of what mounts you use.
    What I do is tag a small tab to the frame or where ever and run the hard line to it. Put a bulkhead AN or JIC (Steel) fitting in the tab. Then run a flex section btwn the tab on the frame and the tab on the engine. It's a bit more work up front, but then it's easy to work around.

All hose is a decent short term solution, but I won't do it for a long term solution.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

rubber that long is not safe over time as it drys out fast.

second yes bulk 25ft rools can be had at parts stores just need to ask. i use it all the time for fuel and brake lines at work.

and last yes you can make the gm oring line fitting flare. i do it all the time at work. i just reuse the old nut and oring. i have a fancy 450-500 doller flaring tool set . i can do 5 sizes of .45 flares , 4 sizes or bubble metric flare , 3 push conect fuel flares , and 2 sizes of gm oring fuel and p/s hose flares.:D

http://www.mastercool.com/m54.html kit 71475 i have at work . you cant buy direct from them. need to go threw snapon or autozone comercial department or other tool sales places.

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

made mine from autozone metal ones. had no need for the special GM ones but if you need them take them off your old lines, cut and reflare the new ones. I did this for my brake lines.--

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

repair ends..

Most parts stores now sell "repair ends" to fit the fuel filter part of the lines that always twist up like macaroni, and/or break--you can use these with compression fittings to make new steel fuel lines..not sue about where it meets the TBI end of things,maybe they have fittings for that too?..:crazy:

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I did the opposite of what you are talking about, but the tank and fuel rail/throttle body fittings are the same saginaw fittings. Summit racing sells Earls adapters from the two Saginaw sizes to -6 AN. They are like $6 each. I cut the hard lines and flared them to use standard -5 and -6 AN fittings for the flex hoses.

If you go to a car parts store, they can sell the the "repair" fittings and steel brake/fuel lines, but I don't like their suggestion of hooking it up with compression fittings.

You can also go to salvage yards for flex hoses from FWD cars. They have the Saginaw fittings, male on one end and female on the other. Depending on how far your tank is moving, you might find the right length to hook everything up with all factory-type fittings.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006