Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mall Shoppers Beware! Please read and don't get suckered!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jakeslim, Dec 9, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Mall Shoppers Beware! Please read and don\'t get suckered!

I gotta share this with all of you. I run a couple of kiosk in local Northern California malls(new business) and am disgusted at what is going on. The malls lease out these kiosk every xmas season to every con artist that exist in the world. (Please understand that I am the most liberal, non discrimination person in the world but when I hear over and over again the words from these kiosk owners, it drives me crazy).

My kiosk is situated next to some guys from Israel who are here just to sell stuff to "the stupid americans who will buy anything". All day they rant about how "we" will buy anything for any price. Well, the unfortunate thing is this is true to some degree. I see customer after customer buying some repackaged duck hunt game from the early 80's for $60 bucks!!
    Well it turns out that the malls fill up with these guys from Israel and Turkey ever year because they CAN sell anything. I had one group kicked out of the mall because they thought that I could be f'd with. They were wrong and were kicked out of the mall. These guys were buying bottles of some crappy lotion for $2, and selling it as "Wonder Nails" for $40 bucks.....and the suckers buy it all day long. If you go to any mall in the US right now you will most likely see the following items for sale. I am listing what these guys paid for them because you should know.

-Twister(or Tornado) car - R/C car that from axle twist around and around . Cost to these guys $7, your cost $35.
    Can be bought on ebay for around $10 because distributors are dumping since too many were imported exceeding demand.
    - Mini Twister car - R/C car, same as above just smaller.
    Cost to these guys $1.50, your cost $18-$20. Can be bought on ebay for around $4 now so take notes.

- Ping Pong video game - comes with paddles and cables to hook up to tv. (very old game I might ad in Asia). Cost to these guys $8, your cost $40. Ebay is $20 now.

-Power Play video game- comes with gun and controller that hooks up to tv with all old games(duck hunt, mario,etc) all illegally programmed(no licensing from rightful owners). Cost to these guys $12, your cost $60 bucks! Can't find on ebay because it is not a legal game system, yet the malls of america are full of this game as we speak.

- Wonder Nails - Usual beauty stuff for nails and hands...pure junk. Warn your female relatives etc. Cost to these guys...$2-$3 a bottle. Your cost $25-45.

Your thoughts? This is absolute con artist crime going on in our malls and it is overlooked because the malls get so much money from the temporary leases every xmas. DO not buy from these guys. THERE IS A REASON THEY POST A "NO REFUND" SIGN. They got your money and they will not give it back.

What is the worst thing of this whole story? Well I have heard more than one of these guys from Israel speak of there ability to sell anything to the "stupid americans". What they do not realize is that the "stupid americans" are the only reason they exist today(Hitler).

Just had to vent and be sure to tell this to your friends and relatives. Everyone shops in malls so they should be educated.

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Re: Mall Shoppers Beware! Please read and don\'t get suckered!

What's a kiosk?

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What's a kiosk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Visualize yourself walking through a mall, a KIOSK is one of those little stands/booths that damn near block the walkway and you end up having to walk around all the time. Typically(at least the ones here in oregon malls)are all lined up right down the middle of the center walkways.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Great info! We damn near bought one of the mini twister cars from a mall in NM for one of my buddies kids. I didn't like the jerkoff running the store though. I kept asking him how long it would run on the battery, and he told me it plugs into a powerpack. Yeah, which has a battery...and how friggin long does that last??? Never got a good answer and left. What about the planes and helocopters that they fly all over the place? How bout the perfume one or the cheap jewelry ones? What kind do you run?

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What Jeff said. It's the german word for one of those little stands...and I guess we all just use the german word. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe I'm the asshat here but I thought that was the whole point of enterprise and business...sell it for more than you paid for it. Sure, these guys have lousy (and anti-american) attitudes...but are they worse than used car salesmen?

Caveat emptor...let the buyer beware. If people are dumb enough to buy blindly then they truly deserve what they get.

As the owner of a couple of kiosks I sure hope you sell your wares for a good profit. Tis the season to make some money is you're in retail.

[ QUOTE ]
    My kiosk is situated next to some guys from Israel who are here just to sell stuff to "the stupid americans who will buy anything". All day they rant about how "we" will buy anything for any price. Well, the unfortunate thing is this is true to some degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is too bad that it is true to a degree, and it'd no different here in Canada. Canadians are just as dumb when it comes to buying stuff. What can you do? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ASSHAT CANADIAN! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Don't you have work to do Bryan? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

rene

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hell no, i'm at "work" right now.

I'll WORK when i get "home" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Those electric scooters are a rip too. The ones you sit on and are battery powered. They sell them for up to 300 dollars and they cost them ~100 to buy. I'm friends with a few arabs who's parents own stores like this and such. I also saw a kiosk in the mall that were selling little WOODEN basketballs on a wooden platform not 3inches in diameter with a College Team Printed on there for THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS!

I also saw thoose twister RC's and those nintendo gaming controllers. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

fools and their money...

j

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Dood..anyone who goes to the mall is a sucker! It's all about getting you to hand over your cash. If yer stupid enough to fall for the sales gimmicks..you DESERVE to lose your $$! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

So...what are you trying to sell to the rest of us "stupid Americans"?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Sure it is free enterprise and all that buyer beware stuff....but I see these people buying stuff and getting an ear full of kiss ass talk from these guys, then they walk away and then their real thoughts are expressed.

Sorry, I don't roll over that easy and will undermine this type of BS anytime I can. Many Americans died for the parents and grandparents of these guys, so it is not ok in my book. All the money gets sent back across sea anyways so there is not helping the economy. Lets see...buy cheap from China(china wins), sell for a crazy amount and send money back to home country, americans gets ripped off. That is nothing more than con-artist at work.

By the way, my business is selling Children's art supplies, of which 90% is made in the US. My prices reflect a markup that allows me to cover lease cost and expenses. Whats the difference?
    - I do and will take refunds
    - My employees must give great customer service(sincere)
    - I've been in retail along time and you do not succeed in business(long term) by ripping people off.

Many of these guys work with "shady" legal status also. Remember, many of these guys come from a part of the world that is a bit of a thorn to the US right now.

Just wanted to give a head's up to fellow CK5'ers.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

thats it!! next time i see a kiosk, I'll scream "DIE TERRORIST SCUM!!!!!!" and start destroying their display!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

j

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Forget the mall shoppers! What do you think we are a bunch of shopping girls?

What do you have to warn all of us MALL WHEELERS about? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im not surprised at all,

the whole world wants our money, the world tries as hard a sit possibly can to take it from you, this is just one of those billions of ways that its happening. heck the ATMS's in some of those malls, some are owned by ppl who are stealing info fromt eh cards that are used at them and i guess now a virus has gotten into one of the ATM systems, this is just another from of the world trying ot get everyones money somehow

thats what its all about

17. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well im not suprised. Mark ups are a fact of life. Having worked retail i can say you would be su[prised at some of the mark ups you pay whith no complaining. Example, video gaming stuff. Consoles (PS2, Xbox, Game Cube) are sold at a loss of about 3-4 dollars a unit. Then when you go to buy the extra controller or the extra memory cards you need you are hit whith a 60% mark up. Games are usually marked up about 10%.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just bought [ QUOTE ]

-Twister(or Tornado) car - R/C car that from axle twist around and around . Cost to these guys $7, your cost $35.
    Can be bought on ebay for around $10 because distributors are dumping since too many were imported exceeding demand.

[/ QUOTE ] for my cousin's kid. I took your advice and bought it off Ebay. Paid $22.00 with shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

in truth, this is how most everything that gets imported and sold is done. my company leases a building to an import company that recieves toys imported from china, and ships them to WalMart. toys cost about $5 a case, plus $2 a case for shipping, the distributor sells them to WalMart for about $30 a case, and walmart sells them for about $30 each ( each case contains between 4 and 8 toys.) a fine example of this is the Mini RC cars... casepack comes with 8 or 12 in it. they sell the case to walmart for $35, and walmart sells the toys for $15 to $20 each. I realize there's also overhead to throw in on top of all that, but I figgure overhead on each case is something small like $2 max to the import company.

it costs almost nothing to make stuff overseas, and this is what keeps our economy going. if the same cheap Mini RC cars were made over here, and sold direct to stores, they'd most likely cost 30% to 50% more, simply because we, as a country refuse to do monotonous crap jobs, like put toy cars together, or sew Nike's up, especialy not for $20 a day. on top of that, we have all these clean air and environmental laws that make some manufacturing process' prohibitively expensive to carry out in the states.

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I was just messing with ya! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif No offense intended.

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, I don't roll over that easy and will undermine this type of BS anytime I can....Just wanted to give a head's up to fellow CK5'ers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif to have an insider watch our backs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif