Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Man Do I Love Fuel Injection!!! Let me tell you why.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5BLT4FUN, Jan 4, 2003.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On the way home tonight from my 4 wheel drive club meeting my truck quite running, after losing power, going down the highway. Well the first thing I check is the gas gauge, it says 1/2 tank. Well guess what, its broken I find out. Well I figure I am only 2 mile from home. So I try and start it and it runs. So I go a little further. Then sit, start, go, dies. Did this about 10 or 12 time until I got to a gas station. What a pain in the a$$, but I don't think I would have been able to do that with a carb. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Bo

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I don't understand why FI makes a difference....?
    -- Mike

4. K5BLT4FUN

With a carb engine and mechanical pump, when the tank gets that low, the mechanical looses its prime and stops picking up fuel. With FI the fuel pumps picks it up and puts it under pressure to the TBI. What the engine doesnt need goes back to the tank in the return line. I am guessing that is why I was able to go as far as I did.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used to have an 89 S-10 that would do the same thing...much better than having to pick a part of the road to 'park' while you walk for fuel!!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

lets just hope you didn't burn out your fuel pump. Theyre a bitch to change in the tank.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yes, they are not fun to change...i doubt you hurt it though. I ran my truck out of gas every tank for 3 years in high school and the pump just went out a week ago because we welded on the frame and forgot to disconnect the battery...got lots of friends that run theirs out of gas too, with no adverse affects...I'm probably not going to do it now that i have a new pump and am smarter though.

8. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm probably not going to do it now that i have a new pump and am smarter though

[/ QUOTE ]

why is that???

is college really that good /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. K5BLT4FUN

I have already had to change the pump once. I have installed an access hatch in the floor on the blazer. Now I just have to find out if it's the gauge or sender that doesn't work.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you like to run your carbed vehicle out of gas, try an electric fuel pump. You will have the same results. Personally I try not to run out of fuel. (TRY)... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

with dual tanks I ran one dry every time for years,
    when you get low you just make sure you arent plling hard up a hill when it is close to dying(switch to the full tank prior to big hills)
    when the engine sputters a bit hit the switch and let off the gas.

the mechanical pumps dont seem to lose their prime

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah FI is great. Course I want to see you gravity feed a FI when the pump goes out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    My bud had a pump go out or simular delivery problem and drove from Tellico to Atlanta with a gas can strapped to his hood.

13. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you had some Fun on 71!!

14. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

It was mad at ya for talking about selling the body! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    At least ya made it to the station.

Chris

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

That would've been an awesome picture. "yes, occifer, I'm aware that I have a five gallon gas can strapped to my hood".

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've got a Carter street/strip electric pump in my truck. I have it running off the oil pressure switch which activates a relay that runs the pump. This way if I didn't keep the rubber side down I might not end up swimming in 40 gallons of gas.

I've also got a pump under the truck that pumps gas from the driver's side tank to the passenger side tank. It's my backup pump.

It's also kind of nice knowing that I'm not going to have a crankcase full of gas if a diaphragm goes in a mechanical one.

One side effect: I tend to be a traveling gas station while on the trail.

17. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I love OBA.......let me tell you why. Cutting an access hole in the floorpan of your buddies rig while on the trail!
    Layne, your pic made it into my OBA article. The article will be posted here soon.

18. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Come to Michigan, and then make your decision if you like fuel injection. Gotta love the below zero mornings eh? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif