Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

man guys life is good...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by solowookie, Mar 10, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

as a lot of you know I have 2 autistic kids, a girl and a boy.

well to make a long story short we've never really had a life about the last 4 years cuz we just haven't been able enjoy ourselves because our children have been too unmanagable. well we've been working real hard with them (my son particularly), and they have been doing extremely good.

I've never known what my sons potential is; if he'll be able to drive, get the gist of sports or anything that his daddy is interested in. well the last 2 days my wife and daughter have been out of town, and we've got to spend some time together. for the first time I've actually been able to get that kid to pick up a tool, and let me help him, and teach him. his attention span isn't real long, but he's actually starting to show some interest.

it just makes a daddy's heart wanna explode! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif its going to take some pretty good patience, but it's nice I can actually have something I can do with my son besides play dinosaurs!

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My sister is also autistic. She's 19 but has the writing skill's of a 6th grader. She also has problems with her speech. It's really frustrating..

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

congrats Jeff! I can only imagine the pain your heart feels every day- but now- you see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak! Maybe you need to send your wife and daughter away for the weekend more often.... 1 on 1 time does wonders for any child with siblings, let alone ones that have different disabilities. good luck. and keep up posted!

Brandy

4. solowookie

we've worked a ton with these kids, and my wife is a pure saint! (mean that literally - you'd have to be to mother 2 autistic kids). we keep plugging along with em.

5. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

that's great jeff! it sure is encouraging to hear parents speak highly of their children, no matter their condition. and to give your wife the praise you have given her is truley commendable. i've learned that as long as take the time to do what they enjoy, they will return the favor two-fold. it's such a great feeling being a dad with a son who truley loves you....and he does!
    i'll keep you and your family in my prayers. God Bless.

6. solowookie

I've always gotten along well with my children, and we've always have a very close bond. they are both daddy's kids for sure.

I try to spend time with him, but with a lot of autistics kids it is kinda hard to relate to them, and find things you can enjoy together. finding something that I like, and he'll share with me is just an incredibly rewarding bonus.

only problem is he wants to use the grinder really really bad... LOL (I don't think so)

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Jeff.
    I really don't know what to say.
    But I'm sure it is very rewarding, I've seen my buddys with their kids, and am enviouse (s/p?).
    It has to be something special, and I'm sure it puts a smile on your face to see him, taking on your own intrests.

I'am enviouse, It has to feel great to have a son or daughter. and in your situation, all that much better to see them grow.

More power to you and your wife!

8. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Your kids are very lucky to have parents like you both. I admire you, I've worked with kids with autism, so I understand some of the difficulties you have faced. I'm so glad that your patience has been rewarded, that's great news!

9. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

That's great. Isn't it awesome when in such bad times ( 9/11 and all) that something so simple can make life so grand!

10. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear about the progress Jeff./forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Our son is not autistic but he does have a disability. He was born with Cerebral Palsy. His brain is deformed. And it is something that he will suffer with the rest of his life. He goes to therapy(when it's available(sp)) but that just keeps his muscles loose to allow him to do basic everyday stuff. Right now though there is such a shortage of Therapists that he is on a waiting list that could take 6 to 9 months if not longer to get him back in therapy. He can talk but at times is very difficult to understand. Like you, we don't know what exactly the future holds for him. He can do some things but others are just .....well just too far out of reach for him. He has seizures as well and like your son, we don't know if he will ever be able to play sports(although he does play tball but this is the last year unless we put in in a special league for disabled/handicap children) have a decent job, or drive a car. The bad part is, his dream is to be a race car driver some day. A dream that as long as he has seizures will never come true. So i can truly say that I know how you feel when you say the smallest accomplishments are LIFE'S GREATEST GIFTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Espically with a special needs child. Sorry about the long story, But i've had so many people say to me I know how you feel and they actually don't know what it is like.

11. solowookie

your right Donna people don't have a clue, even those that work with my children. it is different being a parent, and living with them day in and day out. there is all of a sudden so many things my son is doing it is just absolutely incredibe, and they have been very hard fought battles by his parents, but by mostly his mother.

12. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I am really glad to hear that some of those battles are finally being won!!!!!!!! I understand all to well what it is like to live this kind of life!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy for your son as well as your family. I hope he continues to win many many many more of these battles!!!!!!!!!!!!!1