Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MAN I"M PO'ed! Check and bank problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Aug 1, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

MAN I\"M PO\'ed! Check and bank problems

OK so on Feb 7th I wrote a check for $13. I had $12.46 in my checking account middle of last week and that $13 check goes through after 5 months! Overdrafts my account by $.54, then there are four $6 daily overdraft fees and a $30 overdraft fee. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    If thats not the bad part, I made a $21 deposit from paypal that same day, it took three days to transfer, they sucked up all the money and done two more $6 charges over the weekend. So I call up the bank and ask to have those charges dropped and she flatly said NO /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So I grip and b!thc a bit and she says I can't change it. I say fine and thanks for your time, she then asks is there anything else I can do for you today /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif EVIDENTLY NOT! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I HATE BANKS, I HATE CREDIT CARDS, I HATE being broke all the damn time /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So now I have stuff to ship out, no money and my checking account is $30 in the hole (in 2hours it will be $36 in the hole) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Anyhow I just wanted to rant for a second... anyone have a GOOD bank thats not out to rip you off?
    I'm going into the branch office tomorrow to b!tch in person and see about getting some of the charges pulled, if not I'm closing my bank account!

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Re: MAN I\"M PO\'ed! Check and bank problems

take a copy of your yearly income with you so they can see how much money they will not get to handle, I always get what I want when I do that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif smile were all in the same boat, being broke sucks, I make shloads of cash just can't seem to keep any of it??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I'm with you there.. I had missed a charge when balancing my account and went out to walmart and couple other stores and purchased a few $10 and 20 dollar items. My bank charged me $35 per instance. I had four overdraft fees of 35 bucks a piece for about $40 worth of purchases. I called Compass and she flat out told me that they wouldn't do [darn] about it.. Also with them, when I deposit cash they told me that the cash would not be available for 24 hours. WTF? I just gave you cash and your telling me I can't touch it for 24 hours? Needless to say I'm looking for a new bank right now.

4. jjlaughner

I even went in the next day said my account went over and I wanted to depsoit $20 to make it right... deposited the $20 and I checked my online account that night there was a $30 daily charge, which still made me in the hole the d@mn lady at the bank never said anything about me not getting the account back in the black that day /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I just gave you cash and your telling me I can't touch it for 24 hours? Needless to say I'm looking for a new bank right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I argued with the VP of a well known bank around here for hours about this very subject.

As a result, I withdrew EVERY dollar that I had in that bank the following day, except for the one check I had outstanding. They tried telling me that the funds weren't available again because my payroll check hadn't cleared. I still forced them to give me every dime of my money and even gave them back the free cooler they gave me for opening an account.

I use USAA's bank now. They never hold my money, in fact, my paycheck is available on wednesday. If I accidently overdraft (and I have before by writing checks from the wrong account) it just goes to my credit card, which they also issued me. The only way I pay a fee is if my credit card doesn't have enough credit to take that charge, but it always does so I never worry.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I found out after talking with the bank manager one day that if you deposit CASH and don't say anything it will not be good until the next business day like you said, but if you deposit CASH and tell them to make it available right then and there they can do that for you. WTF since when should anyone have to tell a bank you want your hard earned CASH made available right away.

Also if you have been banking with them for a while and never have any bounced checks they should not put a hold on your check until the next business day if you ask me. What the hell do we all know anyways, we're just a bunch of bank teller paying fools anyhow. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone have a GOOD bank thats not out to rip you off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words...

Credit Union /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Credit union? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I HATE being broke all the damn time

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a job /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont use a checking account. Never carry credit cards except when traveling. I use some stuff called Money to pay for things. Everyone takes it. It cant be over drawn
    I also seem to have plenty of it for some reason.

11. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I've said it before, I'll say it again...
    Find a small community bank.
    You may not be able to find an ATM that doesn't charge you a couple of dollars in every city in the US, but being able to call them up, and say "hi, my name is so-and-so, and this is the first time I have overdrawn my account, would it be possible to get the fees waived?" is a wonderful feeling. The bank that I work for just raised our overdraft fees to $18, with a $3 per day contiunous overdraft fee. If you aren't a habitual overdrafter, a lot of times, we will waive the initial fee, and almost always, we will waive the continuous fee. That is if you aren't a habittual overdrafter. What your bank did sucks, but that is how most banks operate. Especially the bigger ones. They don't have the time and resources to get to know each customer personally, and, generally, don't care. With a smaller bank, the customer sevice is better, and you don't have to have a million dollars in your account to be considered valuable to them. It also helps if you do all your business at that bank, especially when it is a smaller one.

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at by saying Credit Union. A small bank will do just the same. The people at mine know me and my Dad by sight. I can withdraw money from his or my account and they never ask for ID or anything because they know it's me. Whenever there is a problem it is always solved quickly. Granted there are only 5 ATM's in the whole country and 2 are in Louisiana, but that's something I'm willing to sacrifice for a bank that has the customer's interests in mind. Plus, credit unions are non-profit so they are legally obligated NOT to rape you! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I HATE being broke all the damn time

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a job /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thats not really by choice... I guess it is... But I'm not going to float from meaningless job to job and deal with people like I had at my last job! Notice I use the word JOB, thats all they where... I'm looking for a career now, someplace I can work and move up in the company and get somewhere in life... somethings coming (at least that what I keep telling myself /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif).
    In the last 2 months, I've managed to pay off 2 credit card totalling over $7k, I have a couple personal things to take care of then i will have one low dollar CC and my cell phone so its not like a NEED a job! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I use USAA's bank now. They never hold my money, in fact, my paycheck is available on wednesday. If I accidently overdraft (and I have before by writing checks from the wrong account) it just goes to my credit card, which they also issued me. The only way I pay a fee is if my credit card doesn't have enough credit to take that charge, but it always does so I never worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, I wonder if i can find a place around here that has the checking/CC thing... can you go online and pay your CC from your checking or is the minimum automatically taken out? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Banks are tricky.You have to watch your every move and theirs when dealing with them.I used to work for wells fargo and there are alot of things that mislead customers.Like for instance the date on your check means nothing to the bank. You could date it 08/02/06 and the bank would still cash it today.AND there is no expiration date on any checks.Meaning you write a check a year ago i can still cash it today.Thats why i always make sure things go through the bank before i spend money or make deductions right away as i go. And if you ever all of a sudden have extra cash leave it alone or check your records because thats gunna come back to you even if its their mistake.

15. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

What, are you holding out for a management position? Sounds like Cousin Eddie. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

We had a bank that lived in the dark ages. No ATM's, NO online banking or anything. Our account balance never matched and they could not provide reasoning as to why. I finally said screw this and I opened an account at a bigger, more up to date bank with online banking etc.. our balance has matched to the penny.

I did find out on the old bank, they were charging me a $5 fee everytime I used PayPal to pay for something when it pulled the funds from my account. They could not explain this either, they just called it a service charge. One month it added up to $35. Worst bank I have ever dealt with.

17. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've said it before, I'll say it again...
    Find a small community bank.
    You may not be able to find an ATM that doesn't charge you a couple of dollars in every city in the US, but being able to call them up, and say "hi, my name is so-and-so, and this is the first time I have overdrawn my account, would it be possible to get the fees waived?" is a wonderful feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bank I mentioned in my previous post was a small community bank, they were horrable, they would not lift a finger, they lied to us, free checking but fee's for everything else.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a checking and a savings account with citibank that I direct deposit a tiny bit of my paycheck to.

The checking account gets the smallest from every check and is really the savings account, cause the savings account manages to be just enough to meet our property tax bill every due date (sucks when you think of the cool stuff you could have with that money).

Anyway, I was sloppy and not paying attention to the checking account, and had dumped most of it into the savings account to pay back some dipping we'd done on vacation, when my automated ING Direct weekly withdrawal made me like $15 overdrawn.

Citibank sent me a notice saying it was overdrawn (I'd noticed and refilled the account like a day later), and that there was a $30 fee for that. The fee was waived on the same form, I'm guessing because it was the first time I'd ever overdrawn that account.

So anyway, Citibank will gouge out your eyes with monthly service fees, but they'll let you slide the first time you overdraw!

Washington Mutual is offering free checking now, I think, too. Might be worth checking out, no pun intended... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    What, are you holding out for a management position? Sounds like Cousin Eddie. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HI, I currently hold three degrees /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I have a printing technology (an Ass degree), management (bachlors of Science) and business (minor) degrees /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I had one database class till I have my Computer Science Minor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifYou beat me to the punch