Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Man lives 3 hours after b-n cut n half

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Mar 2, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Texas man lives for 3 hours after `horrible accident'
    March 23, 2001

Yes, you read the headline right. A man in Texas lived for more than three hours after he was cut in half by an 18-wheeler according to the Pensacola News Journal.
    Emergency officials took 59-year-old Herbert Lee Grossman’s legs to the
    West
    Florida Regional Medical Center by ambulance while they airlifted his torso by Baptist Flight helicopter. Amazingly enough the bastard was alive the entire time!
    A man who witnessed the 18-wheeler accident says: "I couldn't believe it.
    If you're cut in half, wouldn't you die instantly?
    "

The driver said he rolled out, looked in his rearview mirror and all he saw was legs," said Don Leggett, 53, a truck driver from Pensacola. "He just figured there would be a body attached. I couldn't believe it. If you're cut in half, wouldn't you die instantly?"

Nobody is sure how Grossman got caught under the truck, which was traveling less than 5 miles per hour in the parking lot of Speedway in the 3200 block of West Nine Mile Road.

The driver of the truck, Eddie Patterson, 55, was not charged. Florida Highway Patrol trooper Melissa Pestana explained it was just a "freak accident."
    "We got the call as a signal seven (dead person). And then a few minutes later, I heard them saying, `We've got breath,"' Officer Pestana said. "When the paramedics got up to him, he was breathing, and he raised his arms to them. I've seen a lot of very horrible accidents, but never one this horrible where the victim actually survived."

Dude, if I would have seen him lift his arms up screaming and ****e like I know he had to have been, I would have focking fainted right there in that parking lot like a little bitch.
    In other words, I am not the person that you would want to carry the vital and expensive equipment as we are running up to a body that has been severed in two pieces, because of the remote chance that those legs may start walking or the top half of this poor bastard starts reaching out to me, because if I see that, all of that expensive equipment is going to be scattered all over the parking lot.
    Although Herbert Grossman was pronounced dead at 1:32 p.m., the fact that he survived as long as he did was a shock.

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have heard that happens when people fall in front of subway trains. They will live long enogh to say thier goodby's knowing that they will die soon.

I don't know if this is urban legend or true.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

My old Division Chief told me this story:

He was workin on a P-3 orion[​IMG]on the bomb bay doors, they have safty features that prevent them from closing whil you are working in them, but like all hydrolics on airplanes, they work very fast, way to fast to get out of the way if they close,
    Well anyway he was working in there and the safty device failed, causing the doors to slam shut. It pretty much cut him apart at the waist, the caled the docs in and they said if they opened the doors he was going to die, so they called his waife and brought her in through the plane to talk to her husband and say thier goodby's.
    A soon as that was over they opened the doors and his insides fell out and he died.
    He said he saw the whole thing, pretty tough thing to see, crazy story.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

They should have morphined him out of conciousness before that

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my neighbor works on the railroad, and has witnessed people get stuck in the couplers between train cars. pretty much the same thing, you live until they pull it apart.