Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Man-Made Mudpit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Okay, I live on 10 acres of what used to be farm land... and I want a mudpit in my backyard that I can play around in whenever I want to (and upset the neighbors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). How do I go about making one? I have access to a bobcat and a Bobcat mini-excavator... so I think I should have the necessary tools to do it. I just want some advice from someone who has built their own pit before.

Thanks,

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

A good way to start is to build a pit that is in the ground some to keep the mud and water there. Or it will spread out and get everywhere (seen it happen). Maybe dig a 15 foot wide and 75 foot long (or so) pit about two feet deep. If you can get ahold of a tractor with a disc. Disk the bottom of the hole as deep as you can a few times and add lots of water. the more people go through it, The worse it should get. I've helped build a few bogs and this method seems to work pretty well.

3. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

Turn a hose on and leave it for a few days

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

5. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

We have a loacal pit out here that has to be wetted down and reworked every time we use it. How do you keep it wet longer.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If you cant get disks a tiller will work too but not go as deep.
    And I dont seem to like them long and skinny so you can only drive one truck I like them where you can spin a donut in them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif personal oppion though

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SEE if you can get a grader or dozer with a ripper start out shallow and go deeper with the rippers the farther you get into the pit that's what we do here for our competition pits Back hoe works to just takes longer HAVE FUN /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I think I'm gonna outline the pit that I want with the bobcat, and then dig it so that it is shallow on one side getting deeper as you go through it... I'll have some kind of exit ramp on the other end. We have a couple of big pumps at my house that run on 3 horse briggs that I'll use to pump water out of our back pond and into the pit. I'll have to wait for spring thaw though... I've got myself all worked up and ready to dig, and I can't yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

that sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it turns out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif