Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Man-Oh-Man did I get stuck!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by travis, Oct 6, 2001.

1. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Guys, I had a ball today. Me and a bud took our wives out playing in the local clay-pit. He has a `79 Blazer with 4" lift and 35's. Mine's a `72 with 4/6" lift and 33" tires. We climbed a few slippery hills, trudged through a few holes, got a little braver and braver. Then I met the monster! The one who ate my starter and welded my clutch together. No telling what else is broke or flooded. I had water all the way up to the seats. My tranny/xfer case was bottomed out. I'm 6'4" and I hopped out into waste deep water/muck. My bud has a winch that doesn't work, but the cable still makes good for pulling. That is until it broke. I ended up using my Hi-Lift jack to lift the rear as high as I could, then let it fall over to one side, hoping to get out of the ruts. Too bad my suspension is really flexible. We tried the same for the front only with a little more success. A group of kids came along in a S-10 Blazer, a Bronco II, and a J**p Cherokee. The kids in the Jeep watched as the other 3 trucks pulled me out. Since my starter was drowned and the clutch locked up, they had to pull me in neutral. Man I had fun. Two hours of digging, pushing, pulling, and laughing. I don't think I cussed the whole morning. [censored], I'm lying! Will I do it again? Absolutely! Just let me get everything fixed and I'll be back. I think I just need to hit it a little faster next time. And definately bring a camera.

Next on the agenda, pull the SM465 and put in the TH350. A new front bumper and winch. Hopefully a bigger lift and Swampers.

Gotta go to Autozone. Later.
    Travis

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Travis, say it ain't so! You're pulling the manual and putting in a slush box???

Sounds like you had a blast. I hope you make it nice and clean through the clay pit next time.

4. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

After 2 months of putting things off and eventually replacing body panels I decided to get things going with the motor. I replaced the clutch and starter but things still didn't seem right. I checked the oil and found creamy sludge, aka water in the oil. I thought it may have gotten in over the top of the motor when I hit the mud hole and went in the breather cap. I later found that's not the case. I changed the oil and put clean water in the radiator. Started it up and immediately shut it off. What do you know, clean water in the oil. I rubbed my fingers in the radiator and found oil in there. What do you guys think? I'm hoping for a blown gasket or cracked head at the worst. I can fix that relatively easy, and I've been wanting new heads anyway. Man I hope it's not the block. I was running a little warm that day when I burried it on the water, but it wasn't hot. Any suggestions? Luckily I haven't driven it or ran it for any long period of time. Hopefully everything else inside is OK. I'm going to start with compression checks this weekend and go from there. Wish me luck.

Travis