Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Man oh man this sucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MOBK5, Jul 9, 2005.

1. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Holy crap Im so scared for my truck. Im 17 and have been working 6 days a week for 6 mon. to save up to make my blazer better. The thing that sucks is Im in Mobile Alabama and were in the projected path of Hurricane Dennis. The reason I am so scared is becasue there is a tree staring right down on my truck and I cant drive it out of the way because Im mid motor swap and also have no where to pull it to. Sh!t! If that tree lands on my truck im going to go insane!!!

Grrrr...... Sorry, but I just had to vent.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

It'll be okay because I said so. :bow:

Feel better? :o

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

AAA gives you 4 free tows a year... ask mom and dad if you can use their card.

They'll haul your junk 100 miles at a time for free.

pick a walmart parking lot or anywhere the hurricane is not and wait it out :crazy: .

I'd break my own leg before i let a hurricane kill my truck.

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

almost..AAA will only tow 100 miles if you have AAA PLUS

if not its just 3 or 5 miles..

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

How do You know His Folks have AAA?
    They will not haul something with out an engine!
    Walmarts parking lots are private property, You can't just drop Your stuff off on someone else's property!

Your not the smartest feller are Ya!

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It's all good man, don't worry too much about the storm - you and the K5 will be fine. It looks like it might go in around Gulf Shores like Ivan did which means we'll be on the "good" side. I'm a little worried about mine too, the rear axle is out so I can't move it either. Do like me and just hope that if something does fall on it it will only damage the 'glass top and you can fix that with a soft top.

100 miles ain't enough, hurricane force winds (74+ mph) extend out 80 miles in diameter from the eye (and this one is supposed to be "small"). :(

7. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Im hoping that if anything does get damaged its the top, since I have another. Stupid hurricane. Its up to 130 mph now I think, category 4.

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

actually walmart has always let people camp in their parking lots..go to an rv/ trailer website..says walmart will gladly let you camp out in the outer parts of there parking lots...and i serioulsy doubt anyone would complain about a blazer sitting in the parking lot..especially in a storm..much more important things to be worried about, then a truck ina parking lot

9. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

just get somebody to help you pull the truck away from the tree, somewhere else in your yard. If the tree can't fall on it, the sorm probably will not hurt it.

10. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly it, I live in a house but its a very small lot, we have a shed, big tree in back yard, and thats about it. Those two also take up most of the room, and I cant get it in the front yard b/c of some more trees and having be towed up a curb. (parents think truck will be ok). Ill just get some friends to come over and help me push it forward some I guess, just to maybe clear the tree if it falls.

11. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Hurricane Dennis

Just leave the truck where it is and chop the tree down before the storm hits. ;) :p:

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I don't know how fast wind has to be to pick up a 5000 lb truck but its probably above 130. Unless it gets hit from the side it should be ok. If i was you i'd find something REAL sturdy like a big concrete building and parallel park as close to it as possible.

theres about 1000 things you can do to make sure your truck doesn't get tumbled.

Also, If they do have AAA plus 400 miles or 4 tows is plenty. 200 there and 200 back. Problem is when you move it you have no clue it your going to getting away from it or right in the middle of it... I've learned not to trust the forecasts.

13. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

EASY Corey......we are a close knit group here and don't take kindly to IQ bashing, can u hear me now....!

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

its 100 miles per tow with AAA plus... doesn't matter if it doesn't have an engine.. but it is limited to 100 miles.. you can play *some* games with AAA occasionally, depending on the driver.

15. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Run out and cut the tree down is my best solution. Then in the future you won;t need to worry about this. I had a tree break off in a snow storm the winter past and land on my roof. Didn't make a scratch, or my second approach roll your truck out into the middle of the street. The neighbours won't like it but as long as your rig is safe. :D

16. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Last good one I went through was Alicia in 1983 in Houston it had wind speeds of 130-140 at landfall, we were on the dirty side of it but most of the trees that came down were uproooted because it rained for 4 days before the storm hit, we had plenty of large oaks that lived through the wind

Leave the truck be and hope for the best and don't be fool enough to get yourself killed once the storm starts, if you decide to do anything do it well in advance..... good luck to any of you that are riding this one out

17. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Well, at the last minute the storm missed us. MobK5, I assume you and your K5 survived? All is good here.

I know it hit the P'cola area and east, I hope you guys are ok. I talked to TARussell, he has phone but no power and also no significant damage. :woot:

18. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

You are missing the big picture. Put full coverage insurance on it. Say it is worth 15 grand and let the hurricane come.

19. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Heck yea nvrenuf, K5 was a beast and handled it nicely. Im so glad it missed us, and thankful it slowed down before landfall. Ill admit I was looking out my window most of this morning even though they said it wasnt coming here, haha. I care about my truck way too much, lol.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

They picked my K5 up and gave it a tow, no problems.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005