Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

man playin with a torch is fun! (and questions)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by solowookie, Mar 12, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

OK guys... I went out tonight, and cranked that thing up just for the sake of playing with it. I had seriously forgotten how much fun it is to use a torch cuz it's been since HS (I graduated in 88)

does anybody know where I can find pictures online of what the flame looks like for proper adjustment?

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What I do is spark it up, then turn on the gas just till the smoke clears up. Then I turn on the O2 and hit the handle till the flame is just coming out of the ports instead of a big flash.
    Hmm does that make sence.
    Remember the hotter the flame the messier the cut.
    Lots of splatter and so on. Big boogers to grind off.
    For long straight cuts I have a couple of brass magnetic squares that I use as a guide, I can zip off a peice and it looks like it was cut in a brake.
    Then I have an adjustable compass for cutting circles.

3. solowookie

yea it does make sense where you have the 6 small cones? that exactly how I as adjusting it until this mad schwans guy came a long - adjusting it until the 6 cones were nice, and clean, and then when you hit the oxygen the cones still wouldn't change shape.

I'm not sure what that guy was thinking.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The flame shouldn't change when you hit the oxygen bar...
    I fire it up with a bit of O2 and Acetylene together cuz I hate the black sooty floaters. I try and set the torch up as 'cold' as possible for cutting because it will do a nicer job. adjust it so the flame just get's focussed and sharp looking cones and check it by hitting the O2 bar. If the flame doesn't change you're good to go.

Rene

5. solowookie

hmm... didn't know that the colder the cleaner. I was assuming it was just the opposite. I don't remember where it was but somebody said they had brass that they would run on each side of thier marking lines for making cuts, and they said the got really clean cuts on the stuff. I might try that.