Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Man sues McDonalds-food is making him fat

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Jul 25, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,58652,00.html/

Wednesday, July 24, 2002
    By Michael Y. Park

NEW YORK; Want a class-action lawsuit with that burger?

A New York City lawyer has filed suit against the four big fast-food corporations, saying their fatty foods are responsible for his client's obesity and related health problems.

Samuel Hirsch filed his lawsuit Wednesday at a New York state court in the Bronx, alleging that McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC Corporation are irresponsible and deceptive in the posting of their nutritional information, that they need to offer healthier options on their menus, and that they create a de facto addiction in their consumers, particularly the poor and children.

"You don't need nicotine or an illegal drug to create an addiction, you're creating a craving," Hirsch said. "I think we'll find that the fast-food industry has not been totally up front with the consumers."

The suit does not specify the amount of damages Hirsch and his client are seeking.

Industry officials lambasted the legal action.

"It's senseless, baseless and ridiculous," National Restaurant Association spokeswoman Katharine Kim said. "There are choices in restaurants and people can make these choices, and there's a little personal responsibility as well."

KFC spokeswoman Amy Sherwood said her company couldn't comment on the lawsuit because it hadn't yet been served, but dismissed the idea that the fried-chicken chain ought to be held responsible for anyone's health problems.

"Eating sensibly combined with exercise is the best solution for a healthy lifestyle," she said. "KFC offers a variety of menu offerings for those who want a more healthy choice."

Walter Olson, a Manhattan Institute fellow specializing in legal-system issues, called the suit a blatant attempt to cash in on the recent publicity over obesity and the tobacco settlements. He also said it disregarded the idea that people are responsible for their own actions.

"Most people are aware if eating double cheeseburgers, it's not the same as celery," he said. "We all have appetites, but people have no trouble walking down the street and buying a different kind of food. They're not somehow forced to keep going back and keep supersizing. Overeating is a bad habit and is one of the pitfalls of human nature."

So far, there's only a single complainant named in the suit, but Hirsch said at least two other clients would be filing soon in what he aims to make into a class-action lawsuit. All were regular fast-food consumers who suffer from ailments ranging from obesity to diabetes.

The lead plaintiff, 56-year-old maintenance supervisor Caesar Barber, ate at fast-food restaurants four or five times a week and blames his fatty diet for his obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol and the two heart attacks he has suffered.

"I trace it all back to the high fat, grease and salt, all back to McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King; there was no fast food I didn't eat, and I ate it more often than not because I was single, it was quick and I'm not a very good cook," Barber said in an interview with Foxnews.com.

"It was a necessity, and I think it was killing me, my doctor said it was killing me, and I don't want to die."

Frances Winn, a 57-year-old retired nurse, said her habit of eating at fast-food restaurants at least twice a week since 1975, caused her to go from a size 6 to a size 18, and inflicted her with hypertension, high cholesterol and a hyperthyroid problem.

Israel Bradley, 59, said his ritual of eating a pound of french fries a week gave him high blood pressure, diabetes, made him obese and forces him to walk with a cane. In 1993, he passed out and had to be rushed to the emergency room because of the medical problems caused by his diet.

"I got addicted to it," he said.

Winn and Bradley would both file New York state suits soon, Hirsch said.

The aim of the legal action is to force the fast-food industry to "offer a larger variety to the consumers, including non-meat vegetarian, less grams of fat, and a reduction of size" of their meals, along with federal legislation that would require warning labels on fast food similar to those on tobacco products, Hirsch said.

"Hopefully it will change the eating habits of the American public," he said.

In December, then Surgeon General David Satcher declared obesity America's soon-to-be number one killer, and urged for there to be a healthier range of food available to consumers.

[​IMG]
    This is just NUTZ!

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

So now that the world has gone sue-happy, we could technically sue GM for "making" us spend all our money on our trucks ?? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm suing my parents for not making me better looking. i could've got more chicks, and a much more lucrative career as a model if i wasn't this ugly. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    and i think i'll throw in my grandparents, cause that's where the real money is. those older folks wear their pants so high because they have deep pockets, ya know. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Wow..fast-food makes you fat /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif No Sh!t /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is great news!! If he wins this suit, maybe I can sue dell for not printing in huge letters on thier boxes "Lift with legs" for any back problems I now have! Or maybe I can sue GM for making cars, since I had a car accident a couple years ago that funked up my knee and it feels wierd on funky weather days! This could be a breakthrough for all americans to get rish easy!! I can sue realtors for driving up the cost of housing, sue the mailman for making me put up a fence for the dog, sue a traffic light for turning red, sue sue sue!

I want to puke just thinking about the crap they serve at these restaraunts.
    What he said:
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    because I was single, it was quick and I'm not a very good cook

[/ QUOTE ]
    What he may have been thinking:

I'm tired of working for a living. I want someone else to take care of me. I was lazy and ate food noone in thier right mind could expect to promote health regardless of the "health" facts, so there's my ticket. I need to convince someone that I was convinced it wouldn't make me unhealthy, then pickup the check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for nothing, but I've been purchasing lunch for the last several years. Call it intuition (which means I'm pretty smart if I get this and these dopes don't), but I kinda figure if I eat something with slimy oil dripping off it every day, I'm going to start feeling crappy... I'm all for making a company pay when they've walked all over the little guy, but this is stoopid! The guy might as well sue himself for eating it everyday!

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

All ya gotta do is make yourself the 'victim'

*rolls eyes*

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Nice...where will it all end?

What a joke of a system we live under here in America! My parents company had to quit sponsoring little league baseball because by buying shirts and hats, they could be held legally responisble for injuries or any other hazard. What bullshit! Anyway, something will have to change eventually...hopefully it'll be better sometime soon.

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Does that mean I can sue Budweiser and Samuel Adams for my beer belly??! I will settle with them for free beer....

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I will join you with that one.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Geez, what is next, suing God for being disabled? Geez, WTF is the world coming to....

11. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Well, if cigarette companies can be sued because their product harmed someone's health why stop there? Even thought no one forced these people to smoke or eat fast food it's still the companies fault? It just boils down to the fact that people do not want to take responsibility for their own actions.

12. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

what a dumba$$

13. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

cigarette companies were adding addictive chemicals to their product, which is illegal.
    they also blatantly lied when they said that there was no relation between smoking and cancer, which is illegal.
    they also market their addictive, deadly product to children, in a manipulated attempt to hook 'em young, and bleed 'em long, which is illegal.

while fast food companies do need to be held somewhat accountable for their advertising, and exposure to kids, i don't think there is much comparison between death-merchant-cigarette-profit-centers and a company that obviously slings low protein, high energy food-on-the-go. this guy is an idiot, and i think the courts should slap him with a frivolous lawsuit injunction, and fine his fat ass.

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Due to circumstances arising from drinking beer...cegusman and myself will be filing a class action lawsuit against beer companies for their negligence and outright disregard for the fact that their beer is giving us a malady known as the 'beer belly'. WHO IS WITH US???

Lawsuit happy clowns... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

In Shakespeare's Henry VI Part 2, Jack Cade and Dick The Butcher were speaking when Dick spoke famous line:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".

The only thing I would add is that we also need to kill the brainless idiots that spend all of their time blaming others for their problems. (oooooh they made these cigs addictive so it's their fault, oooh they made these burgers REALLY yummy so it's their fault, etc.)

If you choose to eat junk food, smoke cigarettes, do drugs or whatever, that's your own business but you have to accept the fact that you are doing it because YOU CHOOSE TO DO IT! If you want to quit .... just quit and stop making excuses and blaming others.

Once upon a time I used a variety of drugs many times a day, everyday, until I decided that I no longer wanted to waste my money and time on them. So I quit.

I also smoked cigarettes for 16 years until I saw my 1 1/2 year old son trying to act like daddy smoking a cigarette. I didn't like the looks of that so I quit.

Do I still think about it? Yup.

Will I ever do it again? Nope, because I have chosen not to.

Some people just refuse to grow up.

16. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Geez, what is next, suing God for being disabled? Geez,

[/ QUOTE ]
    LMAO!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hey..if you go class action...I'll sign up!

18. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I don't think I support the law suite, but it does make me think.

When I was a kid and someone asked what my favorite food was, I said hamburgers, pizza, ect.

Ask a kid now and they will say McDonalds. Sorry, but McDonalds is not a food, and they repeat... McDonalds.......

19. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Even if mcdonalds had fruits and vegitables with an entire healthfood menu my fat a$$ would still order a damn double 1/4 lb value meal super sized with a coke to drink (thats a #6 here in Des Moines). And so would the looser who is filing suit. I dont care what he says.

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, that gives me a motive to file a lawsuit against the big fast food chain restaurants because everytime I eat at any of the places, I'm running to the toilet after 10 minutes to blow all the chunks of their greasy crap out of my ass! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

One of these days, my ass is not going to be able to take it anymore and I'm gonna be stuck with a "non-functioning cornhole"! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif