Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

man this guy needed a jeep!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aaaaggh, Jul 31, 2001.

1. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
  2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.projectbigwilly.com/Images/blazer.mov>http://www.projectbigwilly.com/Images/blazer.mov</a> nice way to pad [​IMG]

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick ! [​IMG]

3. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

He wouldn't have got that far in a heep.
    One of the rear tires blew right after it dropped into a hole. That's what flipped it over.
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 4" lift, 38" TSL's on steel wheels

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

okay i'm tryen to understand why this guy needs a j#*p?

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Man, I LOVE these trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't even look like any windows broke during that roll!! Does anyone know what the damage was? It looks like that truck took it really gracefully...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I was thinking the same. That truck looked alright after the roll, like no serious damages. I'm sure there were though, but from what we could see, didn't look too bad.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What he needed was a longer wheelbase........more like a suburban, not a jeep [​IMG]

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Uh...I'm just glad it wasn't my truck! [​IMG]
    That sucks!

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

9. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

I would agree. Why would this guy or girl need a heep. I am cornfused.....

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I can't see the movie(my comp is possesed) but is it the one where a K5 rolls down Potato Salad hill? If it is, then a Heep would just roll farther down the hill [​IMG] Did someone say CREWCAB???

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My "Heeper alert" is going off. Better turn that off...

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

12. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

dont get me wrong i like k5's and jeeps and all other good 4x4s. the reason i say he needs a jeep is the huge weight difference would have made him not only less likely to roll but also less likely for his tire to come of the bead. also youll notice that the only way his windows didnt break was was because they were rolled down. right after the first roll youll notice the front of the roof is crushed in and the windshield is shattered. (jeep- fold down windshields that cost $80 if you do break them) also if you watch that video in slow motion and zoom in youll see that he has severe damage. every body panel the roof and the pop top are mangled. you can get a whole body for a jeep for the price of a pop top. another thing he needed were lower gears, his throttle and bounce approach is not the best idea when at the top of a hill. oh did i mention 4 banger jeeps come with 4.11's stock while my k5 had 2.73's in it when it was stock? im not sure what gears my flatfender has (hey i found it behind a friends barn and havnt even gotten to mess with it yet) but im sure they are pretty low. my main reason for him needing a jeep is repair cost and down time. that truck is nice enough to almost certainly be his daily driver. and as much damage as there is its most likely totalled, unless his insurance company is willing to replace and entire body. on a jeep he could slap on a new windshield (if it even broke) and go. knock the fender out of the tires with a big hammer and chalk the rest up to trail carnage. i cant imagine how pissed off i would be rolling my k5. id just be ringing up dollar signs in my head. "$3000 for my paint...there went a $200 window..doh there went both $80 vent windows dang cracked the pop top oh man that roofs gonna be expensive " rolling my jeep-- "dang, cooler fell out"

friends romans countrymen, lend me some parts

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

That is Potato Salad HIll, and a lot of Jeeps have a tough time there. They are much more likely to roll. Crew Cabs walk right up it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

A heep is not the best choice for going up Potato Salad Hill. I've seen Toyota pick ups go up it like it's not there. Long wheel base, light weight. I think tire condition had more to do with the blow out then weight of the truck.
    What year of Blazer did you have with 2.73 gears in it???
    I'd rather have to upgrade my gears from 2.73 then to upgrade my motor from 100 hp. [​IMG]
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 4" lift, 38" TSL's on steel wheels

15. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    That was a pretty sharp truck before the roll, I doubt a jeep in a similar condition would just be slapped together with some parts for a couple hunded bucks. Ever price out TJ or YJ parts?...not exactly cheap Ever see a Jeep factory roll bar after a slow roll? They trend to bend up pretty easily. As for your theroy of buying a whole jeep body for the price of a top...umm we shold get together and make some money cause I can drag in K5's tops all day long for $50 or less. I highly doubt you can touch a complete body in a yard for less than $1500. I would rather have roof damage to a fullsize, If you were comparing apples to apples the jeep would have a hardtop, ever price out one of those? True a jeep possibly could be a bolt on affair on repair parts but I believe a replacement front roof section (I have repaired worse looking without replacement) will be more plentifull in a junkyard (pu's k5's subs) If you have a $3000 paint job you have no business being off road for 2 reasons #1 you paid WAY too much for a paint job, #2 You must be a idiot for taking a truck with a $3000 paint job somewhere where even dust could get on it.
    Oh yeah PS Hill is all about wheelbase....longer is better

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

16. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

well now it has 3.73 and new new(ish) 350

17. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

man i rolled around 30 mph on hwy 31(got rear ended by an old man going about 50 as i was going around the curve and slowing down) with my factory bar and its still perfectly strait. thats a cj bar i dont know if they are different for new jeeps.

18. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

and another thing 3000 is not that expensive a paint job for a really nice paint job. yes it is expensive but i like my street driving trucks to look good..really good. ive had the $500 jobs before and they are all orange pealy. if you want a paint job that looks like you can just reach into it you either have to have the hookup, be a painter, or put down some cash.

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I must say that in MY opinion, if you take a vehicle with a $3000 paint job onto the rocks (or offroad anywhere, really) then you better not care if it gets scratched/dented, because it probably WILL.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

20. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I agree. Thats why if I ever do paint my truck it will be the cheapest paint I can get and I wont pay someone to do it. Screw the Jeep, that guy needs an ugly truck and a rollcage.</font color=blue>