Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Man this sucks *UPDATED* HELP!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Apr 11, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well after sitting since last september with what seemed like everything going wrong I got to drive the blazer yesterday for a short bit. BUT the part that sucks is I"ve put the tranny tunnel cover back in and my tcase wont go into 4low. I guess I've got the drivers side most shift rail pulled out a little too far. so hopefully tommorrow I can get a prybar in there and help negotiate it back. But all that's left I think is to replace the filler hose and vent and weld the floor pans back in.
    YEA HAW, finally

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Re: Man this sucks

Ok Teach me. Is there a removable tranny tunnel cover or do you have to cut it out and weld it back in? I have pulled tranny, engine, and transfer a few times and just struggled with the top bell housing bolts.

Thanks for the info!

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It bolts in. Bet you wish you knew that sooner.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

get your gastank fixed?

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

Doh! That would have saved some cuss words and some beer!!

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well, it's all back together, took the shifter off today and did a little tappyidy tap tap on the shift rail and it went all the way back into 4 low. Then when I put the shifter back on it wouldn't pull out very easy. finally it yanked out so I'm back to just 2 hi and 4 hi, no N or 4 low. My shifter is loose, (plastic bushing is missing, and bolt is now bent slightly, I don't have the greasable one) Would this be the cause of it not shifting? or is there something I"m missing here? I was pretty careful when I put the case back together after the rebuild, so it should all be in right, especially considering I tapped the rail with a hammer and it went in pretty easy. If I have to replace the shifter I might as well go with the dual shifter setup. But my fab abilities around here are very limited considering I"m 350 miles from home where I know people.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Les,

I can't recall....do you have a body lift, or have you "shimmed down" the xfer case?

On my truck, since it has a body lift...the shifter opening is NOT large enough to allow me to select all the gears...specifically I couldn't get 4LO.

There is a chance that you have a "physical interference" between the shift lever and the tunnel sheetmetal (or the trim ring for the shifter boot) that's keeping you out of the forward-most lever positions.....

MAYBE? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

nope no lift and the boot is off, the shifter is loose, that's all I can figure either that or I have something inside not working right but I was careful on reassembly so it should be fine it's only the top shift rail giving me problems. No body lift yet

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if it went with the hammer it might be the plastic bushing. its just in enough of a bind to where it wont go. see if you can wrap it in electrical tape or something so that its snug. maybe that'll help

nathan