Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MAN, trucks were built TOUGH!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Jul 3, 2004.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I Just couldnt resist posting this.

Trucks sure were built tough. Heres my '78 1/2 ton, with a 250 and 3 on the tree, loaded with 2000 lbs of pavers. I know its more then its designed for, I was skeptical at first, but she hauled the load with no problem. I would have taken the K5 to go get it, but, its out of comission, and its kinda tall, and the stepside acted like it was nothing!

[​IMG]

CHEVY TOUGH ANYTIME BABY! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah! I remember one time I saw a guy in a furd hauling gravel in the bed, and his bumper was shooting sparks every bump in the road /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's only 2,000 lbs in there?

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Just last week I had the oddest thing I have ever had in the back of my blazer...had to pick up some 24packs of water from another store ( I work in a grocery store) and the guy used the highster and just put the half pallet in the back...with my top still on, man was it packed just perfect in there...I was a bit of a lowrider too, but not as bad as I thought it woulda been. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    and the stepside acted like it was nothing!

[/ QUOTE ]

been there, done that. steering was a little on the unresponsive side, wasnt it?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Your stepside is the same color as my 79 C10 "Bonanza"--but mine has an 8'fleetside bed!.
    I use my 74 GMC to junk a lot of scrap because it has a flatbed with a crane and winch I made on it--the bed alone weighs nearly 900 lbs without the crane,its 4 inch channel iron 11"apart with plywood decking.
    I helped someone scrap an old allis chalmers bulldozer a few months ago--when I got the detroit diesel motor in it to the scrapyard I learned it weighed 3700 lbs!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif--despite all the layers of frame rails that have peeled away due to severe salt exposure,it didnt break in half(yet!)--I bet the axle tubes are only half their original thickness due to rust,and its only a 14 SF!.
    The old chevies and GMC's are pretty tough,but not very rustproof unfortunately--my steering rag joint separated on the way home from the scrapyard,the metal literally had disintergrated at the steering box end.I wished I had brown pants on that day!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.Took 2 days to scrounge up another steering shaft and had to fix it in the snow--but the truck is still kicking!--I dont plan on overloading it that bad anymore,poor thing has seen enough abuse!. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Dude, If you ever wanna sell that truck, PM me, Ill figure out how to ship it. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif Its In mean looking shape.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Dad was a brick layer, and I recall the one truck he used to regularly abuse to the point of insanity. It was a '68 C20. It had the Eaton rear with 4.56's, 250 straight 6 and the SM420 4 speed. He would regularly load a pallet of brick, 1/2 yard of wet sand and 10-12 bags of cememt as well as his tools and head for a job. A couple of times he had well over 7000 lbs in the back of that poor truck.

Rene

9. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

i did that once but when i went to swap springs i found the top leaf ( the important one ) was broke in 2 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I only THOUGHT it hauled without a problem /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My dad used to have a '86 C10 with a 350. I filled the bed of that thing with 3,300 pounds of crushed limestone one summer... Iam glad I only had to take it a short distance...It drove like a wet noodle, and that is being nice /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]

been there, done that. steering was a little on the unresponsive side, wasnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

OHHH BIG time. But I got used to it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]

woah! I remember one time I saw a guy in a furd hauling gravel in the bed, and his bumper was shooting sparks every bump in the road

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAHAH thats one was to lay frame! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude, If you ever wanna sell that truck, PM me, Ill figure out how to ship it. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif Its In mean looking shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man, it is in pretty good shape. Everyone gives me crap about it, but I love that truck. I have had some plans for it but keep doing things to the blazer. Hopefully ill get a chance to put the intake and headers on it, power steering, maybe a/c, that would be nice. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

pile it on,your truick will only carry what you don;t care.i've been loading trucks for twenty years and most can hold more than you think, /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif