Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

man vs elect fuel pump

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by keeferk5, Nov 20, 2001.

1. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

I am looking to switch the fuel pump on my 4-bbl 350 85 k5 and am debating between replaceing the stock manual fuel pump or going with an in-line electric pump. What are the pros and cons of each and what brands should I look at?

My hotrod goes anywhere I want it to.

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I would and do run electric. Although mine is an in tank variation yours would be external which if it took a dump on you it is a simple r&r which is key if it happens on the trail.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. keeferk5

keeferk5 Registered Member

That's what I thought, except if I have elect. probs I'm kind of up a creek. Any Brand prefs?

My hotrod goes anywhere I want it to.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I personally say manual, just because they work for typically 100k miles +, and probably are more reliable than external electric fuel pumps. (at least I'd think so, since GM decided in-tank electric was the way to go)

Besides, electrics add wires, extra fittings in the fuel system, and noise. All of which are negatives in my book, although the noise from an electric pump is probably a non-issue with most of our trucks on this board lol

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. dogman

dogman 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=265553&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=dogman&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=264912>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=265553&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=dogman&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=264912</a>