Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mandrel Bent - Worth it??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Apr 17, 2000.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I can get a local shop to make a custom exhaust for my Blazer that will fit exactly the way I want it to. The only thing is that it won't be mandrel bent. Does mandrel bending really make that much difference to rear wheel HP & torque in a cat-back exhaust and could I just go up a 1/4"-1/2" in diameter size of pipe to accomodate the bends? I figure it will be alot cheaper to get a local exhaust with a good muffler (like Flowmaster) rather than pay hundreds of dollars for mandrel bent pipes that will rust just as fast!

Thanks
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

2. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

you could step it up 1/4" or 1/2" if you wanted, however, you don't need to do that or the mandrel bends unless you have a high horsepower engine that really needs to breath. I have an '89 f/s Jimmy with dual 2 1/2" pipes running through flowmasters... it sounds great!

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

3. cocky

cocky Registered Member

What does "mandrel bent" mean?

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

it means that when the pipe is bent, it doesn't divit it were it was bent. Mandrel keeps the o.d. of the pipe after being bent.

NEVER been stuck... *yet*