Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manifold and Carburetor Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Hes the back story, gentlemen, my k10 is getting swapped over from diesel to gas. A 400 to be exact. Its a 2 barrel now and I would like to change that. I was looking over my Jegs catalog and found what I think looks like a decent intake, it is an Edelbrock Performer. Here is the discription.

- Dual-plane, low-rise intake manifolds thats feature a 180 degree firing order and a patented runner desgin that you wont find on other brands. This patented design greatly improves torque and horsepower over a wide rpm range and makes it especially explosive from off-idle to 5500 RPM. Throttle response is excellent. Performers are idel for daily drivers, street machines, street rods, trucks, 4x4s, tow vehicles and rvs. Most are 50 state legal when used with the correct carb and in correct applications.

The particular model im looking at is for a SB-Chevy 400, non-egr

now manifold only is 114.99, manifold and install kit is 142.99, then you can get cam and lifters for 139.99

Does this seems like a good deal? My truck will be lifted eventually, used for work around the farm, towing, and daily driving.

Now for carburetor ive heard many different things. That edelbrocks are easy to tune, but they suck offroad even with needle sets. I was told tonight that quadrajets are better then edelbrocks. I would like to sort through some of this, here is the Edelbrock im looking at in jegs.

650 CFM Thunder Series AVS, Offroad with manual choke 345.99

- these share all the performance advantages of the performer serious with innovative new features, quik tune secondary air valve can be easily adjusted to match your needs, with you want the secondaries to kick in early or late. you can set the air vavle using standard tools. with no extra springs. Its a quick and simple process. qwik tune combined with other great features make this the most conveient and dependable carb available today. for 4x4 owners the thunder series avs offroad carbs include spring-loaded needles and seats for outstanding performance in rough uneven terrain.

Then for this carb there is a calibration kit for 49.99 would i need this? Also a Dual Feet fuel line design especally for the avs. Two include an aluminum fuel filter for 81.99

Does this seem like a good carb, if not what would you recomend.

Also Kert if you read this could you talk to Terry if he thinks that intake would work good on my motor.

Edit: also guys im planning on running true duals with no cats for sure and most likley hollowed out glass packs or nothing at all(yes i know im going for menace to society hehe) I didnt know if that would impact the intake answers or not, Im also not sure about headers or manifolds yet.

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Thats the manifold i put on my truck. And yes it definetly not emissions legal no-egr hookup. But the installation was simple. Wish my damn carb wouldn't be giving my problems. I also did notice a great change in acceleration once i got my truck rolling. Im hoping that once i fix my carby it'll run and drive a WHOLE lot nicer and meaner.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If your 400 Cu. In. Chevy was an original 2-barell engine, the heads may have small intake runners, and I am sorry to say, but putting a 4-barell carburetor and manifold on it would be a waste of time and money. I am not as knowledgable about 400 Cu. In. Chevy engines as I am with the 327 and 350 small blocks, but maybe somebody else has something to say about my assertment.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have heard that about heads to and was gonna look into it as soon as my motor gets torn appart to see if i need different heads...as far as emissions legal, i dont really care, the cops around here dont really bother with that around here. There more worried about people romping on it with exhaust late at night.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you bought yourself a good set of aftermarket heads, and rebuilt the bottom end of that 400, you would have a killer engine.

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what kinda money you plan on spending? If under $500 go for the Edelbrock performer, and whatever carb you have a handle on tuning, as they all will require some tuning for your specific application. If ~$1000, Vortec heads would be the best money spent on this combo. Then go with the Edlebrock Performer.

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Get the Performer RPM, torque is about the same but theres more HP. Ive always used the RPM's and Air Gap RPM's on my rides. The Thunder AVS Off-Road should be fine. And you shouldnt need the calibration kit. But if you go q-Jet, stay with the Performer. The Edelbrock cam's are old technology. For Bump Stick I like Comp Cams. their Xtreme cam's are awesome. Those and Lunati's new VooDoo cams are good. Both Comp Cam's and Lunati offer "truck cams."