Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manifold bolts: Tricks on getting 'em out?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Nov 18, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Manifold bolts: Tricks on getting \'em out?

I'm getting bolt on headers soon for my 87 K-5. However, I heard that the manifold bolts are a pain to get out. Anyone have an tricks to get 'em out so I don't have to go through H-E-dubba' hockey sticks to get 'em out? I haven't tried to get 'em out yet.. but I just want to see if anyone has any "easy" way of getting them out. Any advice or anything will probably help a lot.

[​IMG]

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Re: Manifold bolts: Tricks on getting \'em out?

Penitrating oil, and alot of it. Start sraying it on way before you get the headers to lossen any rust. I've also heard you can use a torch to heat them, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I put a set of headers on my rust-bucket 75 Firebird. Lots of penetrating oil and heat from a propane torch helps. I had a tough time until I bought a 1/2" drive torque ratchet and 5 point sockets. I have a 14" or so long torque ratchet and they came off in about 1 hour.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

if at all possible get an impact gun!!! if you lube them good and use the impact, they should come right out...

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

BillyBob,
    After using 100 cans of penetrating oil, smack them a few times with a hammer. Then, undo them gently (DO NOT use an impact or you'll never feel the bolt about to break). If they start to feel like they're twisting but not loosening, whip out a torch and heat the bolt cherry red (mind the penetrating oil & other things don't catch fire here). Wait 'till it cools and try again. You may have to repeat once or twice. And just heat the bolt, not the head or manifold

If they snap off, then it's time to pull the head and drill/tap them out, so DON'T snap one.

Make sure to chase all the head threads, use new exhaust bolts, and use high temp antiseize when putting the bolts back in so you're not really screwed next time.

Good luck!
    Eric D

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you do not have a torch, you can use the penetrating oil first and then crank the truck and let the heat of the motor warm the bolts up. Just be careful not to burn yourself. Also make sure you are using 6 point sockets and not 12 point ones. Another thing is once you get the bolts out you should run a tap in each of the holes to get all of the rusted debris out so that your new bolts will tighten up properly