Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manifold gaskets for header?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Okay I want to install my headders tonite on my c10 but I dont have any "headder" Gaskets at home. I do however alredy have some manifold gaskets. While searching for the answer to this question I found a reply by divorced I think who said he ran manifold gaskets on his headders. If you can just as easily run manifold gaskets on headders then why do they sell "headder" gaskets at the parts store? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this?

:confused:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm using manifold gaskets on my headers, a friend of mine swears they work much better than the actual header gaskets.

The gaskets that came with my headers seem to be some sort of paper composition, no steel face. I wonder if the header gaskets are supposed to "flex" more to try and keep the flange sealed up as it warps, which is common on thin flange headers.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, I've had good luck with the manifold gaskets. I also like them because you can get the "drop in" kind that are easy to install, just start all your bolts and drop in the gaskets with the shiny side toward the head. Why do they sell header gaskets? I dunno, I guess just because people buy them?

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hmmm.. Thats a good idea. Have to keep that in mind for the next time I need gaskets! I use the Percy Aluminum Gaskets with Graphite inserts. They seal great and dont burn out. However I tried their sames gaskets for the flanges and couldn't even get them to install. :( They kept falling apart on me.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive used the thin metal header gaskets only to have them blow out in 2 months. the local auto parts store sells some THICK (3/16") paper gaskets and the only reason ive had to get new ones in one year, is because i needed to remove the header and they were stuck to both the header and head.

ive thought about useing manifold gaskets, ill give it a try next time.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've always used manifold gaskets with headers. Much better seal, with zero hassle.

Rene