Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Back Window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz316, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

On my 73 my rear window does not want to go down. When I go to crank it down one side starts to go down and then the other side will stay up and then I'll have to put a little pressure down on it to try and catch it up with the other side.

I have stopped attempting to lower the window for fear of it falling and breaking or going down and not coming back up. Has anyone one had a similar situation? I am plannig on replacing it with a power tailgate from a newer model but that will be down the road abit.

Any help will be appreciated.

"If it aint broke don't fix it" is like a 4 letter word.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Just get it far enough to open the gate so that you can get the cover off and look inside. It sounds like you may have a screw loose

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the little plastic rollers are broken onthe one side. Either that or the track is really dirt. Take a look inside.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

or the teeth on the gears could be fudged. once you get the back off it should be very obvious whats busted. When i got my 74 the rear window would bot go down at all i had to replace the handle asambly and gearing.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

mine does the same but its because the rollers are messed up and the glass tray that the base of the glass hooks into is bent so it just kinda sits there

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

6. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

I have the cover off the inside but I havent delved into looking at it to intently, its a little hot to be hanging out in the back of the blazer for an extended period of time./

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.phatboy.alloffroad.com>PhatBoy.AllOffRoad.com </a>

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hope that gear thingee isn't messed up cause last time i checked i think it cost $130

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I just cleaned out all the internals on both my electric door windows and tailgate window. It seems that after a period of time the grease that the factory used gets very sticky and hard. Sounds like you need to clean and re-grease the tracks, rollers(the rollers have three access holes that you should spray cleaner in also), and the gears on the motor. It'll take you a good afternoon to do but it will be like new.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Chaz its probably the regulator, I had to replace mine I got a smokin' deal too, they are about 150.00 . I B.S.'d the guy and got it for 75.00....Also keep in mind that theres alot of crap that can go wrong in there so be ready to spend some dough on parts and make sure you have the time too figure exactly what needs to be done and the time it'll take for new parts to arrive... I ended up with a new gate, regulator, window crank,rubber seal, window seals and a couple other things I can't think of right now, I think it was around 400.00 and it took me about two weeks but I work really slow. Now everything works as if it were brand new, it was well worth it if ya have any ?'s let me know, I also have an exploded veiw of the gate and internal parts I can send you it was a great help...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

10. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Yea If you can send me an exploded view Id appretiate it. I may wait till I can find A new tailgate with a power rear window. Just tackle the whole thing at one time.

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

there has been great discusion on the power gate debate and the consensus is don't do it , it ony adds a whole new can of worms to an already full plate, now that I've mixed all my metaphores...[​IMG] I could send the diagrams with the check if you still wanted to send those rings and caps, let me know, later

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

12. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

I checked the rings and the one thats not pictured has been dented. I'll try and get a pic to ya. Maybe it can be repaired. It looks like my girlfriend ran over it at an angle.