Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual battery switches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjbear, May 10, 2003.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am trying to decide how I want to set up my battery system. I was considering using the Hellroaring BIC: http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.htm but I am not sure it is worth the extra $50 over a quality manual switch. Some switches are also lockable, like this one: http://www.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=970 That is a nice feature that the Hellroaring set up does not offer, in fact they have no "off" provision at all /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So help me out, anyone have good experiences w/ the Hella or Perko switches? All the Hellroaring reviews seen good but the price is up there.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/dual_battery/my_dual_battery_setup.htm

I was going to use one of these too.

Then use a single continuous-duty solenoid to bring the second battery "on" with a another simple momentary switch. This second switch would depend on ignition, so the moment the ignition is turned off, the second battery is dropped out, leaving only a single battery vulnerable to being drained.

I case of a dead "primary" battery just dial the master switch to start off the second battery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigjbear

Thanks for the link /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I have boxes of those marine switches...actually my cousin does /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, he own's a marine part's & repair. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I will probably be installing one red top optima and maybe a yellow or blue with a marine switch.

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Jim,

I am running the Hellroaring system on my blazer and I can promise you that the extra $50 bucks is well worth it. I put my system on about 2 years ago and I have had absolutely no problems with the system.

Remember, I'm using that huge power inverter and lot's of electrical stuff on my blazer, and in the rar occasion that the primary battery goes out, I just flip the switch and it's all good.

The hellroaring system in my mind is the only way to go. I looked at all the other systems and it was the best choice at the time. Totally dependable and very worth it in the long run.

Just my .02.

therobzilla

6. bigjbear

Thanks for the input Rob. I know how you load down the charging system, so that is a big vote of confidence for the Hellroaring /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif