Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Choke Cable

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 30, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

My edelbrock 600 cfm performer has had a difficult enguaging and disenguaging the choke for quite some time. Even when I had it on my old '66. I usually can pull the choke closed, but somtime have to push on the choke a little, then jump out and pull it open the rest of the way by hand. I think my choke cable has a bend inside of it somewhere. Have many of you had this problem? any tips on how to keep this from happening? should I get a new choke cable? I'm just wanting to get everything in perfect order before I try to start the turd again, now that I've rebuild my carb.
    Here's the cable I have now:
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG1300&N=115&autoview=sku

thanks,
    James

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'd say the cable is either kinked, rusted or maladjusted.

3. 78Suburban

I'm pretty sure this is the problem, just checking to see if its a common problem, or if I can do something different to remedy it. There is alot of eccess cable, what if I cut the cable to a shorter length, and bent a new S shaped kink in the end? Or do auto parts stores carry a shorter, less apt to kink version?
    thanks,
    James

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yep. You can cut it. Just make sure you don't cut the inner cable and the sleeve to the same length. :wink1:

Measure how much stick-out is has now, pull the inner cable out, cut the sleeve to desired length, put the inner back in and then cut it to the same stick-out that you measured before.

Be sure to allow for engine movement, too.

5. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I didn't think manual choke cables ever worked the way you wanted them to.:doah:

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Agreed. I run manual choke linkage and am so tired of messing with it that I just leave the choke wide open all the time. I will be going to EFI sometime this summer.

7. 78Suburban

maybe it has something to do with altitude and humidity, but I don't think I know of a gas engine In can make run without using a choke. Maybe I haven't developed the feel for freathering the gas and cranking the motor. But I am pretty PO'ed with my choke cable, if I can get her to start without the choke closed , I'll just run it that way.

8. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

hmm, ever sprayed the choke cable with some kinda lube('specially by the knob)? I have the same choke cable and I used some anti-rust spray called Slide and it works nice and smoooooooth. :D

9. 78Suburban

I'm still thinking I *may* have a kink in it, but this is an awsome idea.. I thin I'll get a little plastic tube and stick it on the end of a can of PB blaster, and FLOOD the cable with it.. maybe this will loosen her up :bow:

10. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

For a while I had the choke working pretty well but it has really been a huge pain in the last few months so I quit using it (after messing with it a half dozen times). The truck will fire up after about 1/2 second of cranking even in sub freezing temps and I just have to hold the idle above 1000 for a minute or two. Then it will idle on its own just fine. After about 5 minutes it will drive like its completely warm. It works for me, no guarantee for anyone else :D

11. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    I hated manual chokes I ended up going electric and it solved all my problems. However, some tricks I've learned make sure the cable has nice sweeping turns and curves. And second I would adjust the cable so It knob (push to run) had about a 1/4" extra room to go in so I could bounce it a little. With my palm. To make sure th buterfly was all the way open.

Or on my jeep I had it set to pull to run push to choke.

Make sure your butterfly isn't sticking causing the problems.

good luck
    bob