Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manual choke..how much? and how hard to install?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Mar 11, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

like the question says...how hard are they to install, and how do you set them up..is there a switch inside or something? id like to do away with my electric choke cause its really giving me nothing but problems...could i do this with an elec. choke carb?

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i used the choke kit made by Help. i am usually reluctant to buy there stuff since it seems to be lower quality, but the kit seems to be pretty decent for the price. it is part # 55104. it comes with a replacement black cap that allows you to replace the electrical components with a cable actuated lever that you have to run through the firewall into your cab. it was around 15 bucks.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so does it work good for you? was it hard to run throught the fire wall..and did you seal it with something? i just want to see what kind of a diference this makes with the way my truck runs..cuase i dont think the choke on it is wokring right..its not closing when it should...like when its cold...and it makes it really hard to take of at first...and i prefer manual things more to begin with becuase any thing electric can always lead to more problems...

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

well to make a long story short.....i installed mine on my 76. it was back in the day when they thought it would be a good idea to use a thermostat to control when the choke should be used. well wehn i rebuilt my carb, i attempted to replace the thermostat. unfortunately, the small sheet metal screw that attached it to the intake broke off, it was easiest for me to install the manual choke. it works good for me, once i got used to how much choke to give it. i flooded it out a time or two. the most time consuming part was getting the cable the right length and mounting the cable inside the cab. i didnt seal the firewall with anything, it is minimal compared to other cobbled jobs. i would say give yourself a good hour to install it.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool..sounds like something i might do. what do you cut the whole with...or is it just a small one? i think the idea of an electric choke is dumb myself to...i suppose they work ok when they DO work (the one on my dads 79 works ok)..but when they dont its hell. i like to be in control anyhow..

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it is a 1/4 inch hole or so that you need to drill in the firewall