Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Clutch Linkage Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Manual Tranmission Help please!

Hey fellas!

Can anyone here help me figure out how I am suppost to hook up my clutch linkage on my 74 Chevy with the SM465?

I need pictures and a description if possible :) I need my truck for tommorow :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

3. Russell

Thanks, that does help, but at the same time it is cause for concern, becuase it appears I am missing a few parts...

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Look here

A rod hooks to the pedal, runs through the floor, attached to a horizontal shaft (greaseable), that runs between frame rail and bellhousing, other end of shaft has small arm with adjustable link attached to it which actuates the clutch fork.

5. Russell

Hmm, maybe I am not missing anything other than a spring... I've got a long one that is attached to the frame, that z-bar, a couple cotter pins, a nut / washer, and that actuating rod. Shouldn't there be a shorter spring somewhere in the setup? I took the engine out of my Chevy to put into my GMC a good 4 - 5 months ago, but now I am restoring the GMC, and need to drive the Chevy for a while, so I am trying to peice this clutch setup back together :p:

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well, I converted from automatic to manual over a year ago and only ended up with one spring, but I made sure it was well placed. Hasn't fallen off yet...(knock on wood).

7. Russell

Sounds good, thank you for your help :) Much simpler than I thought it was for sure!

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Those pics bring back baaad memories. :frown1:

9. Russell

Well, I got the clutch linkage all put together without any problems, but I am having another problem. The goofy tranny seems to enjoy grinding gears. Aka, sometimes it won't go into 4th properly (assuming that the granny gear is 1st), it just grinds, at which point I gotta drop it back to 3rd, rev it back up then I am usually able to get it into 4th. Also I have issues with trying to get the truck to downshift. I can get it into 3rd 95% of the time without grinding it, but I cannot get it into 2nd without grinding it unless I am nearly stopped. Is this normal? Or is it just a loose nut behind the wheel? ;)

The reason why I ask if this is normal becuase I've got a 63 3 ton GMC truck with the same tranny and a 2 speed rear end, and it shifts MUCH nicer than this truck does... This thing reminds me of a driving a bus, and it is almost dangerous as you cannot get it to shift fast enough if you need to shift into passing gear to get out of a bad situation...

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well it could be the loose nut behind the wheel, or it could be improperly adjusted clutch linkage or bad synchros. Did you do the adjustment with the gauge hole? If you need to, I can snap a pic of that procedure too.

11. Russell

Well, the more I talk to people with an SM465, the more I think I just suck at driving manuals :D

I took it out to the parking lot and practiced a bunch, and I don't grind the gears very often anymore, so I think I've about got it :)

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep, the SM 465 is like a loose whore, it's a pain in the ass sometimes but you get used to it.

I drive a manual every day so I guess I'm just so used to it, I never notice anymore.

Wow, I can't remember the last time I drove an automatic. :grin:

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cmbination problems of trying to shift too fast, and clutch may not be disengaging all the way, IE clutch travel not enough, make sure free pedal paly is around and in and a half and no more, if the clutch doesnt d/e enough then youll grind gears

465 is a slow shifting trans, take your time, same with 420 and so forth, if you keep trying to shift too fast then youll end up with junk synchronizers, and then youll be screwed

good luck

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For years, transmissions didn't even have synchronizers, they're not necessary for proper operation once you learn to drive.