Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Door Guts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Sep 22, 2005.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Hey everyone,

I currently have power doors. And to make a long story short I want manual doors. I thought I would be able to simply swap the guts from a manual door at a junkyard into my doors, but I went to the junkyard yesterday and this does NOT look to be remotely easy.

Has anyone done this or have a suggestion?

At this point I'm considering just buying some good manual doors and bolting them on.

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

all the holes should be there, i went from manual to power and only had to cut the holes for the wires to go through, very easy

3. B_to_C

The problem I was having in the junkyard was not being able to even get the "guts" out of the door. Did you remove the glass or is there something that disconnects the lifting mechanism (power or manual) from the scissors?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

IIRC the vent window assembly has to be removed, then the side glass...then the regulator junk.

Rene

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

im doing the same thing, thanks B to C for asking the Q, and thanks guys for the answer.

6. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

the regulator can me removed and installed with removing the vent window.
    (my step son swapped from manual to power this past weekend).

the power regulator mounts low in the door, the manual mounts high, all the holes were there.

7. B_to_C

Any more info other than "it can be done" ? That's the attitude I went in there with, but just couldn't figure it out :confused:

8. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

its like a big puzzle. you have to hold your tongue just right. i just took all the power stuff out of my blazer doors which are basically permanantly off and put them into my 83 k30s doors. all fits just a little finesse needed.

9. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

Just replaced the driver's side window in my '74 this weekend (gotta love the neighbor kids.)

Remove the door panel. Remove all the misc bolts you can find (4 around the window crank **may want to wait until you have the vent out but I didn't and I could have used another hand to hold onto everything **, 3 on the door handle (not necessary I believe, but they were there and I removed them and it worked), 2 in the lower front by the vent window, and 2 in the rear of the door that hold the rear track inside the door.)

Remove the top trim with 2 phillips screws on the rear of the door (this was on a '74 so may vary.) Remove all the screws along the top of the door frame around the vent. There should be 4 total: 1 holding the rubber piece and 3 around the door frame.

Roll down the window (I went it all the way down). Grab the vent window and you should be able to pull it out of the door frame. If it doesn't come easy, make sure you have all the screws out. When the vent pops loose, you should be able to turn it 90 degrees (vent toward the truck) and work it out the front of the glass. At some point work the rear track loose, easiest if the window is up. Then pull the bolts on the window crank and work the window and track off of the rollers. It's hard to explain how, but if EVERYTHING is loose, you should be able to worry the two wheels out. I had better luck getting the back out first and then doing the front. Might have to crank the window up and down to find where it's easiest for you. I'm sure that someone can tell you exactly where to put the window and have it work easiest, but that wouldn't be me.

After that, pull the window out and then worry out the regulator assembly. VOILA. One empty door.

Good luck and it's not too horrible. Take about 20-30 minutes if you're learning. Hardest part is getting the track off of the regulator but once you've seen it, you'll have an easy job of it next time.

10. B_to_C

:eek1: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Exactly what I was looking for bridgeguy, thanks alot!

11. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

like i said it can be done without removing the vent window.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Nick there's a guy selling 1980 K20 manual guts on CO4x4. His name is John, nice guy if you need those parts.