Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual for 76' K5.... Which one to get??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Nov 19, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Im going to be restoring my 1976 K5, can someone please let me know what manual/manuals I should get? Im thinking there are probably a few out there, im wanting the most practical easy to read. Oh and where should I purchase it at?

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

search for manual swap, stick swap, sm465, nv4500

you'll get a lot of good info. what are you wanting to do with this truck?

3. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Restoration Manual

Having restored a couple of 60's chevy pickup I found the best book to have around was the factry assembly manual. It shows where everything goes, in what order etc. Also shows fasteners and seals etc. They were very helpful on my 65, as it had been hacked on over the years and was far from original.

A quick search on the net showed a manual for an 82 - that might work as I think they were all pretty close from 73 till 87 - other folks will know for sure.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ummm, Matt, I think he meant literature... :wink1:

To the original poster... The factory service manuals are readily available on Eghey, for good prices most of the time.. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for your year to come up...

[​IMG]

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

d'oh! cant read good IMO

i agree though ebay is the place for stuff like that. you'll seem em on the board here and there too.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hehe, I figured it was an accidental "auto-reaction" mode to many of the questions we get.. :doah:

minor trimming, blah, TV cable adjustment, shackle flip, blah, 10b = d44, ditch the swaybar, blah, etc, etc....... :wink1:

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I got mine at factoryautomanuals.com

8. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I got my manual from: Factory Service Manual

The Chilton's manual from Autozone has been useful on a couple of issues as well.

9. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

On factory service manual, was that "shop manual" ? How do you like it? is it well descriptive?

10. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

It's pretty good. It has the specs, step by step processes for assembly and dissassembly of most components. I've used the Chilton's as a reference more often than the factory manual for the projects but I'm not restoring. My truck is a mild trail truck (very mild) and backup DD compared to some of the rides around here.

Anyone have the factory manual and overhaul manual? Any reason to have both? Opinions welcome.

11. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

The factory assembly manuals do show great blow ups of specific component assembies - like the fenders/radiator support etc to the firewall. They show gasket placement, wire loom layouts etc. What they DON'T show is individual parts breakdowns - IE it shows the alternator and connections, but has no information on how to rebuild, test etc. The assembly manuals are nice if you are going to do a mojor terdown - like a firewall forward strip and rebuild.