Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Front Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAPTAINK5-CT, Jun 12, 2001.

1. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I've been reading a few of these posts. What is the benefit of having the manual locking hubs vs the auto. My autos are working fine now. Should I stick with the if it ain't broke don't fix it, and wait until I need to change them? Also, don't the manuals require you to get out and lock them every time you go in to 4 wheel? I vaguly remember having to do this on the Dodge Ram I drove in the military back in the late 70's.

2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I can tell you that my experience has been that autos will fail and when it comes time to replace them its cheaper to go to manual hubs. Yes you have to lock them manually at the hub. If you get stuck in 2 wheel and then throw it 4wd autos might not engage unless you actually move forward. Manuals are engaged when you turn the switch. If yours are working I wouldnt mess with them.
    Craig