Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Glow Plug Setup

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by fbronson, Feb 3, 2005.

1. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

Howdy All,
    I am currently doing a little rebuilding on the ol' diesel blazer. :cool1: One of the projects on the list is changing to a fully manual GP control system. :thumb: If you live anywhere that gets cold in the winter and are using AC60G's, you will find that the automatically controlled glow cycle just doesn't let those AC60G's heat up enough!:mad: Would anyone be interested in having a tech article with pictures written up on it? :ears: I haven't seen one on the site anywhere, so let me know.

Fred

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Since I'll be doing the same thing later this summer...

PLEASE DO A TECH ARTICLE!!

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I'll see if I can borrow a friends digital camera and take some pics of mine. Very simple once you get rid of all the factory wiring (I converted from gas so none of it was there to start with).

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[slightly off-topic]
    I'll be converting from gas as well. I've got the whole donor vehicle - both are '87s (my TBI305 K5 and a 6.2 C10),both have 700R4's. There's a LOT more wiring and clutter on the 6.2 than I thought there'd be. The A/C and cruise control will be coming off, but what else can I get rid of, or not bother swapping over to the K5?
    [/slightly off-topic]

5. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

Great! I am glad there is some interest. It really is very easy. Since you are doing a gas to diesel swap, I can put a note in there on how to set that up if you like. I'll try to have it done in a couple of weeks.

Fred

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ken, as a minimum you only need to extend the HEI power wire to reach the injector pump, keep your existing wiring for alternator, starter, temp and oil pressure. Then add 2 wires going thru the dash. One will be an ignition wire to send power to the g/p relay and one for your g/p switch (use a push button starter switch with one side grounded and the other hooked up to the g/p relay). It will really clean up the wiring from the factory truck and looks a lot better.

Of course you will also add the wiring from the g/p relay to the glow plugs themselves too.