Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manual glow plug ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74757685k5, Nov 27, 2005.

1. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

do i take the blue wire from the silinoid on the fender to a switched ground??
    it has power going to it when key is on.dose this sound right?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

If it has power to it you can not make it a ground of any sort, it needs to stay hot, keep it on the side of your switch opposite the side that activates your glow plugs

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

right...

All you need to do is tap into that blue wire on the two prong connector on top of the solenoid (no need to unplug it)--and run it to a pushbutton switch,the other lead from the switch goes to ground..

I disabled the controller for my glowplugs by pulling the connector off the big round unit in the rear of the intake,and taped it over,to prevent them from ever coming on automatically again.. I'd use glowplugs that can withstand manual operation--I used AC G60's..others are available..stock ones will swell up and will be difficult or impossible to remove later on after they fail..

More info is available by doing a "search" on the "diesel" forum..many threads on converting to manual glowplug operation there....

Oh,for all you other diesel guys..my 2 year old G60's look like they have been at the bottom of the atlantic already! :mad: --so rusted I'm wondering if a socket will still unscrew them!. :doah: --I should have painted or greased the snot out of them after I put them in I guess..damm salt! :mad: ....

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 60G's look fine from the outside, but at least two have quit on me already...maybe three. If I don't plug it in it'll still start (temps in the mid 30's) but it certainly isn't starting on all 8 and does take 30 seconds or so for the other two or three cylinders to join in the fun. Makes for a pretty smoky start. My 60G's are 2.5 years old now...

I'm going to try some Kennedy quick heats next.

As for the manual set-up I snipped the blue wire about 6" from the controller at the back of the motor, then routed it to under the dash to a momentary push button switch. Blue wire on one pole, ground on the other.

Rene