Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Glow Plugs

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by josephn, Mar 17, 2003.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I have read that you can use a ford relay for doing your manual glow plugs and was wondering what would stop you, if anything, from just using the exhisting glow plug relay without the controller?

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

in the old ones like you and I have, you can. At least that's what I've been told. I just happened to have a Ford Solenoid on mind. It's a beautiful thing.

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Nothing. The '82-84 models used a separate glow plug relay on the fender that you can just hook a manual switch to and you're done. The '85 and later models don't have a separate relay, so you have to add one. That's why we usually say to add a relay.

Casey

4. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks guys.

Also I was once told or read somewhere that it was good to replace the main wire or something that goes to my fuse box with a larger gauge wire..??? What wire is this does anyone know?
    Also when I run my manual GP switch do I need a switch or button with a certain amp rating?

One more thing(you guys must be sick of my questions) I purchased those new glow plugs from Kennedy diesel does any one know if they will have a problem the the manual switch or should I just get some 60g's?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 83 GP controller on my truck wouldn't cycle the 60G's long enough to allow for easy starts...so I dug up an old post on this and hacked an old switch into the circuit.

I'll be replacing it with a good push button switch I have (used to be my starter button /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) The truck starts first time every time now...I let them glow for 10 seconds and it fires up very easily now/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif By far the best mod I've done as far as the diesel is concerned!

Rene

6. 4x4dreamer

I put mine to a switch. I get in, turn the key to acc to get the water out of the fuel, turn on the plugs, put my seatbelt on, flick the switch off and it starts every time. It's a beautiful thing. Idiot light tells me if I left it on or not. I'd like to wire up a starter button someday, but not right now.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My glow light stays on when the switch is on...so it would be pretty hard to forget to turn the switch off, but I'm still gonna put the push button in. If you make it idiot proof a bigger idiot will come along...

Rene

8. 4x4dreamer

LOL, I'm the only idiot driving my truck...so if i burn 'em up, it's my own fault. I had buttons and my thumb kept getting tired, and it took too long to get going. I like the switch, but eventually I want to go to the military style switch with the cool red cover that you have to flip up...just don't know where to find them.

9. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the switch, but eventually I want to go to the military style switch with the cool red cover that you have to flip up...just don't know where to find them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is The Greatest idea for long time.I was going to get the late model relay because I got tired pushing that button,but now I'm gonna get that switch and 60G's.I was once thinking that it would be so cool to have that kind of a switch w/cover on the dash,but didn't realize where to use it.Until now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I remember seeing those for sale somewhere,but can't remember where.

10. 4x4dreamer

let me know where you find it...eventually I want to have a panel of those type switches for just about everything. It would be the coolest.

11. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the switch, but eventually I want to go to the military style switch with the cool red cover that you have to flip up...just don't know where to find them.

[/ QUOTE ] I have one lying around somewhere, the only thing is, if you forget its on your hosed!

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Summit has them Aircraft switch cover
    [​IMG]

I thinks $29 is a little steep, but could not find it cheaper anywhere else.

13. 4x4dreamer

YES!!!! those are they!!!! I would hook each one up to a light right above it so I would know if they were on...I know, I'm a dork, but I was an Air Force brat and grew to like stuff like that. Thanks for finding them, I know they can be had for cheaper than 29 bucks though. more like 15 I think.

14. mirage

mirage Registered Member

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. have them for $10 each. The number is MS25224-x
    x = 1 has one hole.
    x = 2 has 3 holes
    (for different kinds of switches).
    They've also got the switches to go along with them (and hundreds of other things you'll find you can't live without)
    www.aircraftspruce.com

:-) soon to have a new 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif (after 350 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif sells)

15. 4x4dreamer

[Mr. Burns] EXCELLENT!!! [/Mr. Burns]