Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual glowplug question from a diesel dummy!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, May 31, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I converted to the ac glow plugs and a manual switch,as per the instructions I got from RustyK-5(Rene)last fall,by grounding the blue wire to the glowplug relay with a switch.I did this by "piggybacking"another wire onto the blue one,leaving everything connected as stock otherwise,and the truck starts fine,and the glowplug light on the dash works when I activate them,but I got to wondering if I should have unplugged the controller on the engine--I'd hate to find out my glowplugs are coming on by themselves,because I left all the original wiring intact.
    Anyone know?? Should I unplug it,or does it even matter? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

IF I understatand correctly, you have tied a wire into the blue one off the GP relay and have it going to a switch then to ground. That is fine.

Should you unhook the factory GP controler...Sure. The GP controller is getting power from the pink / black wire. It is seperate from the GP controller. However, if you're not sure, unhook it (don't cut anything) and see if it has any ill effects.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the answer,I was having a hard time following the wiring diagram in my haynes book(I think I'm now legally blind!)and I wasn't sure if the controller could activate the glowplugs after starting with the manual overide,had visions of them coming on during a long trip and melting my pistons or something if it was defective.I'll try unplugging it,I hope the plug will come off without breaking,it seems to be really on there good.
    Those G60 ac glowplugs seem to work good,but I have to leave them on for up to 30 seconds in the cold weather to get it started,but my batteries may not be the greatest so thats probably why.And I could only get 7 of them to go in--the front passenger side one must have a melted tip,wont come out all the way yet,I keep soaking it with pb blaster and have got it to come out about 1/4 inch so far,but I'm afraid to break it off,since my injector lines probably wont survive removal cause the are kinda rusty,I'm hoping after I put some miles o it it might come out! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif