Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual hub disassembly question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mahorney, Oct 25, 2004.

1. mahorney

mahorney Registered Member

I need to put in new bearings, but am not sure how my hubs come apart. The plastic selector insert says spicer. Axle is standard 1/2 ton 19 spline. Not similar to stock applications in my books. Truck is 86 Jimmy. Will get some pics up in a bit.

2. mahorney

Here's pics. There's a clip buried in the grease on end of axle. The selector depresses and turns the two prongs on the inside. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly you will need to take that c-clip off of there. I just used a screwdriver and some needlenose pliers. Some of the parts of the hub will come out and then you have to remove the spindle nut which requires a special tool that will fit on your socket wrench. After you remove that the whole hub should come right off without too much problem.

4. mahorney

Thanks. I've had the clip off and nothing else came right off but I probably wasn't being aggressive enough with it. Know about the hub nut and from there on in it should be by the book.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

After the circlip on the axle I think you also need to take out the round clip that fits in a groove in the bearing hub. It is a bit of a pain. You have to get a small screwdriver or something under it and work it out. Then the locking mechanism should just pull out.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If it is the piece that the cover screws to you can remove the clips and use two of the screws to pull out the locking part.

7. mahorney

ah ha, yes. thanks all. It was the large outer clip that I was unaware of. Got it!

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

if you can afford it replace those spicer hubs with warn, they are alot easier to install and they are also more reliable

9. mahorney

Thanks all. Job done. I had a wobble in a wheel and it was pulling when braking. Bearings were good. Lock nut was just loose. Tightened that up to specs and inspected everything and works great now. I'll go back in later and replace with Warn locks. Nice to know how to tear down. Wasn't hard but didn't take the races out, hardest part.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    if you can afford it replace those spicer hubs with warn, they are alot easier to install and they are also more reliable

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely wrong. The Spicer hubs are MUCH stronger, and much more desireable. I wish they were still in production, they'd sell like hot cakes.