Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manual hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tx_sub, Jul 21, 2004.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i have a stock 10 bolt front with oe auto hubs. will switchin to manual hubs affect mileage? i know manual hubs are more reliable and don't rely on old cracked vacuum lines. do manual hubs have less drag on the wheel internals?
    'preciate it y'all

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

No vacuum lines running on 10 bolt hubs. The manual hubs totally disconnect the drive axles from the hub , so it turns like a 2wd hub on a normal spindle . The reason they are better than auto hubs , is that auto hubs sometimes get funky and act up , like unlocking when you need them on the trail , or locking when you don't on the street . I pulled mine out long ago . I would pick up a name brand with good warranty like Warn and be done with it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I ditched my auto hubs when I got my D60.. but I would have ditched them anyways since they did act up on the street and were notorious for unlocking themselves when I needed them the most. You might gain some MPG since the auto ones could be locked right now and you'd never know it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

I Gained 4 mpg when i switched to manual hubs, apparently one or both were engaging most or part of the time, got rid of a bad vibration on the highway when i did it too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

do it,you'll love e'm.they just don't last long on 79's with a 203 t-case.that full time beats them a new a hole in six to eight months. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif