Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Hubs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAPTAINK5-CT, Jun 15, 2001.

1. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I'm sure this has been posted before, but what are the advantages to manual locking hubs? Do they have to be locked every time you go into 4 wheel? Also, is it worth changing now or wait until the auto lockers die (they're working fine now).

2. baldk5

baldk5 Registered Member

there is a definite advantage to man. hubs - when you grt out and turn the hubs in you know your in 4by, no guessing, and yes they have to be locked in for 4by. If you don't lock them, the only thing turning in the front in 4by will be the drive shaft.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yes! Chuck those el crappo auto hubs and slap on some manuals. I love to know when I'm in 4WD and when I'm outta 4WD, none of that "Well, I think they disengaged/engaged" crap

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

4. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, there is an advantage of swapping to manual hubs right now. The auto hubs have a tendancy to fail at the worst possible time, when you most need them to lock!

I got stuck in my own yard and had to back into my neighbor's yard to get out. Very embarassing.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles