Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MANUAL HUBS??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bklynlifted, Oct 28, 2002.

1. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

OK SO I KEEP MY HUBS LOCKED FOR MOST OF THE TIME EXCEPT FOR MORE GAS USEAGE /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif IS THERE ANY PROBLEMS I SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT?????????

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Probably not terrible, just excessive/not necessary wear.
    How hard is it to turn the two little knobs? I mean, if you know you won't be offroad for a while/need 4 wheel drive, why not select the "free" position. Then, when you get in the situation where you might need 4 wheel drive, turn to "lock." Shouldn't be that much work/effort to do this.
    With the hubs locked the whole time you're driving, you're spinning the axleshafts, adding wear to seals and axle u-joints, among other things. (Including bad gas mileage.)
    Once again, not terrible for the vehicle, but not good also.

Any problems you should be worried about...yeah, your caps lock seems to be stuck on...something you should maybe look into turning off...or is that something you like to leave on all the time also just in case you may need a capital letter?

3. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

how did this whole anti-caps thing get started anyway. was it back in the day when the internet was invented? did al gore decide... "you know, i think it would really shake things up if we banned the use of the shift key, or even worse the dreaded caps-lock!"
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hahaha...Al Gore inventing the internet...that was the biggest load of poop during the election I heard.
    About caps lock...I don't know...just kind of a pet-peeve of mine that I don't like reading all caps. In computer language it's shouting or expressing anger.

5. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

unlocked , thanks for the reply's /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Unless you know you are going to be using 4 wheel drive frequently, leave them unlocked until you need them. (PS, Looks like your thread got hijacked) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Since he lives in the cold north I'm guessing he wants to leave them locked for snow and ice on the road.
    bklyn, understand what you mean. When I lived in the snow belt I would leave my hubs locked for weeks at a time. I would unlock them if I had to do a lot of highway driving to cut down on the vibes. In short, it won't hurt anything and it is nice to be able to throw it into 4hi on the fly.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I leave mine locked in most of the winter. That way if I go around a curve to the shady side of a mountain and see snow and ice on the road, I just have to reach over and tug the lever back into 4Hi and keep right on cruising. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Full time 4WD trucks used the same axles as part time trucks and the front end in those last 200K miles or more. So don't worry about the extra wear. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It'll cost you a little mileage but it's a lot more convenient. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif