Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manual hydraulic pipe bender?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chops76, Oct 16, 2005.

1. chops76

chops76 Registered Member

anybody got some advice on how well these manual hydraulic pipe benders work out? i am planning on building a complete exterior skeleton, roll cage and bull bar for my 1976 blazer...plan on bending up to 2 1/2" schd. 40 pipe..i am looking at a 16 ton bender with 7 differnt die sizes for under $100.00..what'cha think?thanks :confused:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think 2.5" pipe is ridiculous, and those $100 benders are money wasted.

I'd recomend HREW tubing in the 1.75"-2" size and a 'proper' tubing bender. DOM is cool too, but a fair chunk more money.

Rene

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Wow, that would be a HEAVY cage!!! Go w/ the Tubing that was recommended and spend a few more bucks, but save some weight and make your life a little easier in the long run.

4. tRustyK5

5. gauder

gauder Banned

6. tRustyK5

It wasn't a specific brand recomendation...more an example. Not that there is anything wrong with the JD2, it's the brand I have and I'm quite happy with it.

Pro-tools 105 is another similar bender.

Rene

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't waste your $$ on the pipe bender. Ask me how I know. :doah:

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

the best manual tube bender i have seen is the JMR bender. it has a gear reduction drive on it. you can bend tube with a 3/8's retchet with a 3/4 socket on it. saw it at the OFF ROAD EXPO last weekend. a tool could be made out of a 3/8 3in long extension where you cut off the female end, mill three flats on the shank so it wont spin in the chuck of a 1/2 capacity hi torq low rpm drill motor. then you could bend tube with ease. they clain there bender bends 2in .120 wall cromoly and 1 1/2 in .25 wall cromoly with ease. that i AM a tad skepticle of but at the show the guy had a piece of 1 1/2 tube that bent with the ratchet very easy. i have the M-TECH manual bender, it works fine, but i will convert it to hydro when i can afford to. just my .02 cents.

9. chops76

chops76 Registered Member

thanx for you replies and info

i guess i wasnt as detailed as i should have been.. i was planning on bending up to 2 1/2'' SCHD 40 but it wasnt for the truck, that is just the size of pipe i need to bend for some ornamental side jobs that i do. i will look into these other benders and see what i can come up with..thanks

10. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

a good manual tube bender can be had for about $400 with die. That's a big chunk of change, with the four dies I have I'm over $1200. BUT, think of the cost of the tubing, you'll spend more on that in a short time frame than on the bender so might as well get a good bender. I would not suggest any of the pipe benders like Harbor Freight or similar, I have used them and seen them used to make some pretty funky rollbars that I would not trust. Kinks, splits, etc. are very common with those, they simply crush the tube (or pipe), rather than draw it through a die

I bought my JD2 from Medford Tool Supply