Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual linkage clutch, problems, chatter etc....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Mar 27, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

So lately the clutch chatter on takeoff has been bothering the piss out of me, I cranked down my idle to about 650 out of gear and it seems to do alright but has major chatter, also I have really bad clutch whin...What causes clutch whine? "Whoooobooooob boooooobo oooooooob"?????

Also My manual clutch linkage seems to no longer be long enough to hold the proper tension on the throwout bearing to keep the pedal from woddling with excessive play. Any suggections? I am runnign a 3 prong style clutch....

One last thing is in gear, say low with no gas its like the truck surges forward, like a sort of slack in the gearing is this the chain in the t-case or just a torque vs speed issue?

2. BowtieBlazer

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

"Also My manual clutch linkage seems to no longer be long enough to hold the proper tension on the throwout bearing to keep the pedal from woddling "

are you talking about running out of adjustment on the adjuster on the clutch fork?
    if you are close to running out of adjustment and are noticing a chatter, the friction disk may be close to the end of its life.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've had 4 clutches in my Jimmy now. 3 were Borg & Beck (three finger style) and one diaphragm clutch. 3 out of 4 chattered...and you only get one guess as to which three./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Your clutch is probably worn which is why the linkage won't adjust the free play out. There should also be a return spring on the pedal itself to keep it from wobbling and riding on the throw out bearing.

The surging type thing is pretty normal. There is no cushion in the drivetrain like with an automatic, so what you're feeling is the diff and springs rotating a little. With an automatic the convertor masks that...

I'd swap a diapragm clutch into your truck and get a proper return spring for the clutch pedal. Your leg will thank you.

Another thing to check is the rear main seal...it may be leaking and fouling the disc and pressure plate.

Rene

5. BowtieBlazer

Why would this be symptoms of a clutch replaced less than 6 months ago! I don't ride the clutch, and it makes no sense to have run out of adjustment rod to the fork... I am PISSED! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

did u check to see if the clutch fork is still pivoting on the ball stud on the bellhousing correctly?

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

It happens. I picked up a 78 for parts that the guy had replaced the clutch 6 months prior and when I pulled it all apart the clutch disk was toast. It also had the 3 finger pressure plate.

8. BowtieBlazer

Its still pivoting correctly and greased very well....I'm starting to think we should warn people, if you run manual linkage go back with the OEM diaphram style clutch......So many reasons to switch to hydro, inclines it binds, when the motor torques hard it binds...etc etc....

I work on a Ford bronco as well and when the motor torques under heavy acceleration the linkages binds as well and helps fry the clutch.....

Atleast its not a slushbox... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif