Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual Linkage to Hydro using a Cast Bellhousing??>>>>

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Guys,
    I am researching the conversion from manual to Hydro clutch.

I am swapping a 454 inplace of my 350 and I have read that the cast bell housing is much stronger than an aluminum one.

So I want to keep the cast bell inplace.

Has anyone ever converted a cast bell to accept a Hydro Slave Cylinder setup?
    Most folks get the aluminum hydro bell and go from there.....

Any and ALL info on this would be GREAT!!

Thanks
    Burt

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I just got done using parts from Novak conversions to use my old bellhousing with their slave cylinder and bracket. Their kit includes the bracket, slave, fork, and return spring for $150. I found some hydro pedals and bought a GM master cylinder and the line, then cut the very end of the line off and reflared it, then used an adapter on their slave to go the hose. If you end up getting their stuff, youll see what I mean. A word of warning though, they say that some of the old iron bells dont work with their kit because one of the holes that the bracket uses is not there.

Tyler

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes I have been eyeballing that Novak stuff!!
    So your cast Bell worked fine with no mods?? If so what year is your rig? Can you help me figure out wich cast bell I have on my 72? or wich one you have.
    Thanks, oh and share some pics if you havum /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Later
    Burt

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Tyler, I was just wondering if the GM slave cylinder is different than Novak's slave? I'm goona go search for some pics of the GM stuff...

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sorry, should have been more clear, my truck is an 87 and I used the aluminum bell that was on my 82 K5. The Novak slave is much different than the GM slave in that it is fully adjustable and beefier looking.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK cool, I probly will fab up my own mount and/or get the Novak and make that work. My goal is to keep the cast bell behind my 454. I found an picture/drawing of the factory slave and I now see the way GM did it.
    If the Novak Slave is that much beefier than GM's then that will probly be the route I take.
    Thanks
    Burt

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If Ya'll don't mind I would like to get into this discussion about the hydro/cast bellhousings.
    I have a 1986 K5 and am using a 1972 and older 2WD cast iron bell so that I can utilize the rear motor crossmember and support the drivetrain better.
    I am about to dig into the clutch fork rods/levers and lingages but I would like to use a hydro set up if possible.
    I see that Ya'll have made reference to Novak and I will check them out but have Ya'll given any thought to using a late model cast iron bellhousing out of a "P" series Van Chassis ? I saw a picture in a GM catalog and figured that it was just a generic drawing but than I saw a new cast iron bell ( with a 5-1/8" index bore ) at a local speed shop and it had a machined surface on the side for what looked like a mounting surface for a slave cylinder.If my memeory serves me well the slave mounting on the passenger side instead of the usual driver side.
    I am trying to use the most durrable setup possible and was wondering if the late model "P" series system was better than what Novak is offering or is the Novak stuff just as good and I should stop looking for a better solution ????
    Thanks for any help . It is hard to find folks who are knowledgeable about cast iron bell housings and hydro units - I am glad I ran across this thread.
    Tom

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, duno about that P Bell? The inllistrations I have seen show the slave mount builtinto the alum. bell on the drivers side.
    Novak has a good slave that is adjustable and heavy duty. I plan on fabing up a very similar braket/mount to my 72Cast bell. Shouldn't be too tuff only cuz I will have the bell on my bench when I make the braket. would be alot tuffer to do while still under the truck.
    I probly won't get it done for another month or two...I will share whatever I end up with, it will be hydro and that is all I know at this point...
    Good luck and share any info you runito /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Apparently the "P" series Vans used both the aluminmum and the cast iron bells ( depending on engine/tranny combo ) - I am trying to find out more info on these late model cast bells.
    I talked to Novak and Advanced Adapters about a bracket and A/A has something that might work and is fairly cheap. Thier part # 716287 is a bracket designed for a GM cast iron bellhousing to a GM motor and using a Toyota Land Cruiser slave cylinder( the Novak slave is a TLC unit also ).
    I was going to fab up a bracket myself but for $30.00 I think that I will give the A/A bracket a try.
    Tom

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Great info. Toyota egh? Wonder if it's cheeper at the dealer for just the slave?
    I didn't even think about AA, I'll have to check that out.
    Thanks!
    Burt

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Is this the one you were talking about fromAA
    [​IMG]
    Did you get confermation that is works with old school cast bells?
    Thanks
    Burt

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I did talk to a sales guy at A/A and he confirmed that the part I was asking about would work on the older bells.
    That picture is not the one in question though - that one looks like it is for a stock type GM slave . The TLC one uses two good size bolts that are along side of the slave cylinder and spaced a couple of inches apart .
    I have not seen a bracket for what I am needing but I assume that it is very simple and some sort of an "L" shape.

As far as the TLC slave cylinder I have always had good luck with BeckArnley replacement parts when I was running a Land Cruiser .The TLC slave is MUCH beefier than the GM unit - I guess that is why these company's are using it instaed .......
    If you find a picture of the A/A bracket could you please post it ?
    Thanks ! Tom

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The guy at A/A did say that we would need to modify the push rod / relay rod to work with what ever clutch fork we use . I think that they intend it to be used with one of thier TLC GM motor conversions and they are using the newer stamped steel fork instead of the older cast iron fork .
    Tom

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Right on Tom! THanks
    I will get the details of this setup adn postem up...thanks!
    Burt

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Bro, WHat year Toyota Land Cruzer should I ask for at the parts counter for the Slave Cylinder we have been talking about?
    Thanks
    Burt

16. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The year model that I am most familiar with is a 1979 . I think most of the TLC slave cylinder stuff stayed the same for many years on the Land Cruisers so finding the right one should be a cake walk .
    Just ask for a 1979 FJ-40 Land Cruiser ( if the parts guy needs to know a motor code it will be a 2F and if they need a tranny code just say it is a 4-speed American version ).
    The funny thing about this is that I cleaned out my garage a month or so ago and I threw out TWO TLC slave cylinders because I thought that I would NEVER need them and they were just going to sit on the shelf for ever . /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I NEVER thought that I would be putting my spare Toyota parts on my K5.......Every time I clean out the garage I end up loosing something that I need.

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahh Stop cleaing your garage!! hehehe
    Thanks man!
    Merry Christmas!
    Burt

18. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I got a PM earlier from MJ and he reminded me of another option that looks promising. An integral T.O.B./slave cylinder combo from McLeod . It ain't cheap but it might pay off if all the other parts are to be bought new.

I am thinking about part # 13215 from thier web site at http://www.mcleodind.com/pdf.asp . I am waiting on a reply back from McLeod right now . I am finding out how durrable these units are and what pressures they can handle . I'll keep Ya posted on what I find .
    Tom

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool man!
    Let me know...

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

There is cast bell with 5-1/8" index and passenger side slave. I had one. My buddy used it to put a 350 in his Jeep. The slave is big, making it hard to find a modern master that will move enough volume (Stock master is a shared clutch/brake unit - for drums /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) Last I talked to him he was using an adjustable Wilwood(?) slave so he could retain the stock YJ master.

This cast bell either came in certain P-vans, or 60-62 C50/60 series trucks.

Another buddy of mine built a bracket to use the stock slave on his '58 F100 with a Mustang T5 tranny. So anything's possible /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif