Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual locking hubs on 1987 3/4-ton Suburban

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by airheadpilot, Aug 23, 2004.

1. airheadpilot

airheadpilot Registered Member

My apologies for the naivety of my post - I'm mechanically savvy and active in the motorcycle world, but I just recently acquired my first Burb and I'm slowly learning the joys of 4x4 maintenance.

Today's question: My automatic locking are broken (the PO actually removed most of the internals) and thus I can't engage 4wd. I'd like to install new manually locking hubs and would like some guidance. I presume Warn hubs are the way to go? What is the best source? Is it a simple swap, or do I need a special conversion kit? Easy or difficult job? Any special tools? My truck is a 1987 GMC Suburban 2500 with the 350 TBI engine and 3-speed transmission. I presume that means that the front axle is the Dana 60, but I don't know that for a fact.

Thanks!

Andrew in Belmont, CA

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Your front axle is a 10 bolt.
    Just remove the auto hubs and install a set of locking ones.
    I haven't had much luck with warn hubs, I will prolly get a set of Mile Marker lockouts for my next set.
    A pick, small set of snap ring pliers and a torx bit is all that is usualy needed to replace hubs.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Factory Spicer Manual Hubs work well IMO, and if you like wrecking yard searching, would be the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd say if you go new try the milemarker supreme's with stainless jacket. I have used these on two different trucks for over four years. They work great and are easy to turn.

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Check Ebay, you can buy some Warn premiums on there really reasonable. In fact I have a set i'll sell you for $40 + the ride.

6. jon v

jon v Registered Member

I've found Superwinch hubs to be very good.

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Check Ebay, you can buy some Warn premiums on there really reasonable. In fact I have a set i'll sell you for $40 + the ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take em!! are they new?

8. airheadpilot

airheadpilot Registered Member

Thanks all. I ended up going with the Mile Marker stainless steel premium hubs. Very easy to install and a real quality product. I was a little concerned initially when I reached down to feel them and found them to be quite hot to the touch. However, after feeling them each time I stopped I noticed that they were cool if I had been doing lots of freeway driving with minimal braking, and hot if I had been around town or going downhill on a twisty road where I need my brakes a lot. Figure that it's the brake heat from the rotors being transmitted through the hubs to the lockers. Never so hot that I can't stand to touch them, so I'm sure it's okay. Thanks for the advice all - I'm off-road capable once again!

Regards,

Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif