Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual on the Rocks

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sep 1, 2001
    After dealing with my auto trans lately in my 85 I was possibly thinking about putting a manual in my next truck. I have been driving my dads CJ5 around with a manual for the last 3 months and I have gotten to liking it. I want to know opinions and experience with a manual on the rocks. I imagine I would probably need a hand throttle, but that shouldn't be a hard rig up. Also how deep of gearing do I need? I know the auto guys with doublers are around 40:1 plus the torque converter (80:1).

I am thinking about running a SM420 2wd trans (7.05 1st gear) and then running a divorced 205 case and 4.56 gears. Would this be deep enough or do I need more with a manual?

Also anyone have any possible input on the dual Transmissions. (SM420/465, 420/420, 465,465) I think this would be rather trick. You would have so many gearing options it wouldn't be funny. Stupid low all the way to high range.

How well will a manual do on the AZ rocks?

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Aug 3, 2001
    Some folks swear by a good "granny" tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And if set up w/ the proper ratios, it can have advantages over the auto - the largest being downhill control. That being said, your crawl needs to be low. I'd guess that a minimum of 100:1 crawl ratio would be desired for a rig that'll spend most of its time in the rocks...

The way I see it, Pro's of a manual:
    - can't hardly blow it up
    - compression braking
    - can push start

And Cons:
    - frame/body twist can hose up clutch/shifter linkage
    - can seem "jumpy/jerky" compared to an auto when crawling
    - gotta use that "third foot" when lining up on some obstacles - and an auto requires less body coordination /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

About 10 years ago, I used to be a "die hard" stick-shifter. I must admit that I've converted, tho... and now I think a juice tranny is the way to go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Apr 20, 2003
    I've only run manuals on the trails. Nothing quite as whacked as Marv, Rob, Fred and the like do, but I have always been a fan of the row-your-own trans. The only thing I can advise you on is: Buy the best clutch possible--No discount auto parts store units. A factory replacement will handle the power you are making and if you know how to use one properly, will last a long time (and are actually not too terribly priced-when compared to a QUALITY aftermarket clutch). My second choice to OE would be a Luk clutch. We installed a boat-load of these at the shop and I don't recall having to do any warranty work on a recipient of a Luk clutch. I have installed the factory GM clutch in several of my personal customer's trucks (everything from stoopid drivers to one tons pulling 12-13000lb trailers) and have yet to have someone come back to me with any complaints. The cheap clutches will often times come with a good disc, but have a float-the-boat pressure plate in it which contributes to horrid(!) clutch chatter. The linkage binding issue can be rectified with a hydraulic clutch setup that was available towards the end of the K5 model run. Most of the parts are available from the aftermarket for a good savings over factory pieces.
    Good luck with your decision,
  4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Apr 21, 2001
    im a die hard manual guy. but thats because all of my autos have died hard.
    as for on the rocks i dotn know. but in mud and forest trails and sand. ill take a manual any day.
    im building a 465 doubler combo. with 4.10 gears and 37 or 42 inch tires i should be able to put it in tripple low and just idle across most of the stuff. os so i would think anyway.