Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual or auto?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Jul 14, 2004.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok well my blazer has eaten its 4TH TH350 Trans, and now I am thinking about a SM465. I do mostly mud, street no big rocks and a little trail. I have not driven a 4x4 with a manual so I am just wanting to know what others think. A TH400 is not do able right know so it has to be the same length as a TH350, NP205.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I run a SM465 in mine and all it ever does is street and mud. I have found that the clutch gets real sloppy after a while in the mud but it clears up pretty fast.
    I would suggest a tach though as you never know what your RPM's are when you are pounding through a hole in 1st gear.

3. RingMaster4x4

Thanks for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I already have a tach. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Don't you know that big blocks eat Th350's for breakfast...and lund..oh yeah..dinner too

5. RingMaster4x4

yeah but that is what I had. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Manual...period. Cheaper and more durable. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Nothing says "I'm a hardcore, gear jammin, steel-belted badass" than rowing your own gears.. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Well, I'm in your boat right now as well. I'm an auto guy and have had TH400's forever but I just can't afford them anymore so I'm going with a 4spd on my K5 project. I prefer the auto, since I primarily run mud (for me) it's more fun and easier - plus I like to hot rod it on the street a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I have had my tranny built locally by friends and even sent it off twice for high dollar professional builds and it's broke again. I simply don't want to spend several hundred dollars on it every couple of years and, call me old and fat, I just don't want to be pulling the tranny any more than I have to. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Plain and simple the 4spd is more durable so I'm going that route for a while.

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have always run autos, and I have broken or burned up many of them. I prefer autos (makes it eaier to talk on my cell phone and drive /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif). I have been considering switching to a manual with the hydro clutch, I'm tired of replacing autos too.

10. RingMaster4x4

ok so far we have 5 manual and 0 Auto. Anyone else? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. RingMaster4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I'm in your boat right now as well. I'm an auto guy and have had TH400's forever but I just can't afford them anymore so I'm going with a 4spd on my K5 project. I prefer the auto, since I primarily run mud (for me) it's more fun and easier - plus I like to hot rod it on the street a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I have had my tranny built locally by friends and even sent it off twice for high dollar professional builds and it's broke again. I simply don't want to spend several hundred dollars on it every couple of years and, call me old and fat, I just don't want to be pulling the tranny any more than I have to. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Plain and simple the 4spd is more durable so I'm going that route for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have been AVG about 1 trans per year. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I like to hot rod a little on the road too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok so far we have 5 manual and 0 Auto. Anyone else? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets make it 6 to 0 One more for the manual

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I havent had a SM465 4-speed since 1990 when I sold my 72 K5--it was a TH350 when I got it--for 3 years I had to wait every morning until the motor warmed up before it would go into any forward gears--once it went in you could drive it 500 miles without a problem--until you shut if off overnight,then the same thing--never did figure it out,so before I got fired from my job for being late all the time I bought the standard tranny,bellhousing,flywheel and clutch,transfer case out of a wrecked blazer--only trouble I had after that was the rebuilt 12 inch clutch I put in was a borg warner POS,the pressure plate died twice in 1 month--then the splines on the tranny shaft were worn,so it slowly ate the coupler between the tranny and transfer--pulled the case out and replaced that coupler twice--the last time I packed it full of J-B Weld!It made a very annoying rattle till I did that--sold it shortly thereafter.I like the standard for its granny low,and for off roading you cant beat the engine braking--but since 95% of my driving is on the street,I prefer the automatic--plowing with a standard sucks,your left leg is twice as big as the right after a big storm,and you eat clutches big time,I like the automatics for plowing better--the TH350 isnt that great of a tranny for heavy duty use,though I have one in my 74 K20 that had a 454 hooked to it for 5 years,now its a 400 small block--still working ok,but its getting slower shifting into reverse lately--sign of impending doom?. GM should have offered only the TH400 as the only automatic in 4x4's in my opinion. :crazy
    I'd say manual for wheeling or towing,automatic for normal street use.

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

And just think of all the extra power to the ground you will get with that manual I forget exactly but doesn't the th350 sap 35hp and the th400 around 50hp?

Anyways if you do do the swap just make sure you buy a high performance clutch (like the LUK clutches) and get yourself the hydro-clutch at the same time and you will be a very happy man.

I hammer on mine all the time, shift without clutching, etc.. and it has never once complained or shown any signs of breaking down.

Oh and the granny low gear sure helps you save your brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif which in turn saves you money, which leads to more mods

Come on now, isn't it obvious yet /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    which in turn saves you money, which leads to more mods, which lead to more chicks hanging around your truck, which leads to getting laid

[/ QUOTE ]

NOW it makes sense! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

ha ha I stand corrected /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

Manual is that only way to go. i have had two blazers with sm465's and never thouth once about swiching to auto. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

another one for manual, and everytime this kinda post comes up it is always in favor of the manual. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd be wondering why the automadic transmissions keep failing. I do like the sm465 manual transmission, but in the mud, and everyday driving a automadic is nice.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

make it 1 for the auto's /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    I perfer autos in mud so you can concentrate on driving, not shiftingg or down shifting /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Although I like manuals too. make it a vote for a manual too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif