Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual rear window?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by STONECOLD, May 13, 2001.

1. STONECOLD

STONECOLD Newbie

I have been through about 5 electric motors in the rear window. How hard would it be to convert to a manual crank? Has someone done this or do they make a kit. I have an 84 K5. What years did they come with the manual crank?
    Thanks
    SC

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

You are luck my friend. I did this to my 87 Jimmy. It is a really easy conversion. All you need to do is go to your GM dealer and get all the orig parts. Like: manual regulator, Manual handle, lock cylinder, spring, paul, clutch, and e-clip. You can get all of this through LMC and others but the prices were the same at my GM dealer and no shipping charges so I went there instead. It is a pain getting all the parts but once you got them all it is pretty easy.
    Now for the installation.
    1 take inspecion cover off.
    2 take 4 bolts that hold window on the regulator. you will need to take outside weather stripping off the get window out.
    3 take motor and all other electronics out of tailgate.
    4 Then take 4 bolts out that hold regulator in the tailgate.
    5 take 2 bolts out that hold on the outside key switch.
    6 take all new parts and put in in reverse order.
    The hardest part is getting all of the parts in the handle, getting the lock, spring, and paul to lock in and stay in but once you got them in it is an easy swap. Total time about 3 hours taking your time. You will love this, you will never have to pray for your window to go up and down again! If you have any more questions, you can send me a privat message and we'll go from there. Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com>http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com</A>

3. scrapper

scrapper Registered Member

would you like to trade your power regulator parts for a manual?

4. STONECOLD

STONECOLD Newbie

I sure might. I am going to check on the parts at the dealer first like Itali83 suggested. Thanks guys