Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manual shifter upgrade suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mrprex, Jun 7, 2000.

1. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

Hello all,
    I have been pondering this for some time now about swapping my shifter out for something that is going to have a narrower shift pattern and ease of driveability. For those of you out there who have muncie 4 speeds in their rigs, I am sure you feel my pain. I wanted to ask if any of you had any suggestions. I was personally thinking about the B&M billet shifter that was designed for 88-93 GM. Of course I could always just throw in a richmond five speed and call it good. Talk to you all later!!

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I can't see how you can change out the shifter on an SM465, since it is part of the cover of the tranny.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too have the SM465 and have never seen an aftermarket shifter for them!!?? Anyone ever see one???........

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the shifter was part of the tranny cover. Do you have any idea what richmond transmissions are like as far as quality and dependability and do you think a conversion to that would be difficult? Thanks again.

5. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

just remember the SM465 is practically bullet proof. these boxes can take a lot of abuse. i know, i have done everything possible to it. i am also a fan of clutch free shifting, and sometimes i miss a shift. but it hasent failed me yet.
    i am thinking of going to a NV4500, or maybe a 4L80 if i can figure a cheap way to do it.

Knife.

6. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Hey mrprex, just wondering, how loose is your shifter??
    When mines in gear I can wiggle it side to side up to 6 inches!!
    Yours too???

7. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

When I'm in gear I can wiggle it several inches side to side. It feels like the shifter is somehwat loose no matter what gear you are in. When I first started driving my Blazer I had a hard time finding gears because everything was so loose. I am used to it now though and still have a hard time banging out gears because they are 1) very loose and 2) so damn far apart. I guess it will just take some more practice on my part! :) On a different note, have any of you guys taken your tops off?? I took mine off last weekend just in time for the rain!