Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual to Auto Switch -how?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swamp donkey, Aug 8, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

My clutch is going, and I am toying with just swapping out the old 4 speed in my 69 to an Auto. What does this take, how much would it cost? Hints or suggestions please.

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Suggestion #1 Don't do it! #2 Don't do it! #3 If you really want an auto trans sell your rig and buy one with an auto. You might even find someone that would trade you here. A clutch is a piece of cake compared to an auto rebuild. Just my opinion, manual trannies are better than automatics. Keeping your 1st gen's original manual tranny is a good idea, swapping to an auto would decrease it's value.

3. swamp donkey

THis is exactly the input I am looking for. Maybye you can tell me, how hard should it be to shift? I just got my truck running and after a week of driving around town I am seriously getting tennis elbow from trying to get it into gear. Stopped at a red light, clutch in, I can't put it in first without going into 3rd then 2nd then cramming it into 1st. is this the clutch?

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It might just need an adjustment.

I cam across a '72 that had a TH350/205 in it. I thought this was factory... ($2500)
    I passed on it because of the auto...
    yeah, stupid me... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    But then again, I have so much in my '73 that I don't want to bother swapping it all out and beating up a pretty 1st gen.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I would be willing to bet that going from Stick to Auto is a lot easier than going from Auto to Stick....?

Even so, it's going to be a lot of work. Are you really sure you want to go through all that? It sounds from your description that your complaint is the difficulty in shifting the existing tranny. I have to believe that a simple rebuild (or even adjustment) can make it nice and smooth.....

And yes, it will preserve it's originality. On a '69 (rare!) that might be something to consider also.

BTW -> You have been teasing us long enough with that ONE picture of the new paintjob....when are you going to SHOW US THE GOODS??????

I'm dying to see a 1st Gen in Orange!!!!

Bring it on!

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. swamp donkey

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

All I can say is "WOW!"

How proud are you right about now......and to think you almost sold it and gave up...!

That is looking sweet.
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. swamp donkey

Yeah it looks great /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    I was hoping to take it to Pismo in 2 weeks, but alas the transfer case needs work. We are still going, we'll bring the quads and my buddies f150.

9. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

Its realy not that hard to swap just takes some time.
    I swaped a th350 out of my 69 to a sm465 only hard thing was making the clutch linkage and geting headers to fit.
    The drive shafts are the same off a 465 and th 350.

10. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

Also the stock cross member should work, it should be a all bolt up swap other than it would probally easier to get a BM floor shifter than change the steering colum.
    And if you ever decided you want to sell the truck you could always put the standard back in.

11. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Much easier to change the clutch than to install an whole auto trans.Your manual has an 6.55:1 1st gear(LOW) while the auto has an 2.5-3.06:1 1st.Don't forget all the extras you will need to install an auto...i.e. trans cooler,shift kit,shifter,driveshafts.Alot of work for less performance.If you don't like the clutch system you have you might want to think about adapting an "hydro" unit to it.It's a nice system that is easy on your left leg.Mike

12. swamp donkey

Yeah I'll keep the clutch.
    So when I replace it (I should say have it replaced) what she ask for, or make sure of. What are the best parts to get? should I watch out for anything?