Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Manual to auto transmision swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by taz8000, Mar 19, 2002.

1. taz8000

taz8000 Guest

I own a 81 pick-up truck with a manual transmision and would like to change this over to a TH700R auto trannie, is this possible. I have a trannie and torque convertor out of a 85 6.2 Diesel Suburban.
    Can I use the same drive shaft (is the manual trannie as long as the auto)

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You will need driveshafts from a 81-91 truck, and you would have to change governors in the tranny unless your truck is a diesel.

3. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

Also keep in mind the spline count out of your current tranny and the one you plan to install. you might need to change your t-case along with your tranny.

Tom

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What manual do you have in your truck and what t-case do you have?I am guessing a 465/203 (???) combo...It is very possible...I am in the process of going the other way (auto->manual)...Here are some things to keep in mind...

1. If you have the 700r4 and the TC, you MAY need a new t-case or and adapter to make your current t-case work with your auto tranny...I would try to find a 208 t-case w/ 700 adapter to simplify things
    2. You will need to get a bracket to hook up the TV cable to your throtle linkage at the carb (<a target="_blank" href=http://www.tvmadeez.com>Try TV MADE EASY</a>).
    3. You will need the auto shifter assembly
    4. A new cross-member
    5. New drive shafts (fornt and rear) probably just yank 'em from a similar year truck with an auto
    6. A new flexplate and possibly a new starter for your engine...

I think that is it...If I thinik of anyhting else to consider, I will let you know...

Chris

5. taz8000

taz8000 Guest

I forgot to mention it is a 4x2 truck.
    BTW, what is a governor

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

81 would have a 32 spline SM 465 mated to a NP208. The 700R-4 is a 27 spline output so it won't bolt up to the T-case.

The best way to accomplish the swap would be to find a tranny/T-case combo and swap the works...

Personally I'd keep the SM 465 though, it's about 10 times stronger and more reliable than the 700R-4.

Rene

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If it's a 2wd truck...It easy...Just get a driveshaft from that year truck w/ and auto, get the shifter assembly and the TV cable bracket, flex plate and have at it...

Chris