Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

manual tranny and Detroit locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Jun 26, 2002.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Who is running this setup? I have the sm465np205 and a 14ff with Detroit and it is making lots of what sounds like metal snapping noises I know this is normal with a Detroit but it is doing it more and more lately /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i was going to go that route. i reconsidered when driving my 12 bolt around with a lockright. i knew that the on/off(the gas pedal) would cause a lot of clunking noises, so i opted for a lincon locker when i upgraded to a 14ff.

have you checked the oil level??

I would recomend shifting a bit smother.

my 2cents.

ARQ.

3. mudhog

Yes oil is full and it will do it just easily taking off from a stoplight /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have heard and read that using a Detroit with a manual tranny will make it "bang" more than an automatic tranny. Even if it makes other noises other than the "banging", it is normal.
    Automatics are a lot more forgiving than manuals. When you shift a manual, the DL is gonna "bang" since there won't be a load on it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

thats the fun part of having a detroit and a manual. My buddies Sammy will make the most awful noice when he shifts. the detroit locks up and the little thing darts into the other lane,LOL.

6. mudhog

lmao just wanted to make sure it was normal since it is doing it more now than it was must mean i got it broken in /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I run the same setup as you, and I only hear it once in a while. The only thing I notice is the push when your on the gas turning and the side darting when you get back on the gas. Not much noise though. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

8. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I havent noticed any noise in mine.I put in the 465/205 and detroits a couple of years ago.

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

mine is really bad...it sounds like the rear end just fell out of the truck when the detroit locks up.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. mudhog

does it do it very often mine does it all the time /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif you should see the way people look at me when it does it/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well i get at least one good rear end fallin out bang a day..and everytime i shift it wants to dart to the right side of the road..takes some gettin use to /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. mudhog

mine does it ALL the time /forums/images/icons/frown.gif and yes i get the darting thing also /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a 14 bolt with a Detroit and over the years have run both an auto and 4spd with it. Mine is relatively quiet with the auto but really noticeable with the 4spd, lots of popping and ratcheting noises. When I first put in the Detroit I had the 4spd, I didn't get more than 2 blocks from my house before I pulled over to look for broken parts! Turns out it was just "normal" locker noise - cool!

14. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

My old govlock died a while back, and I told people I was getting it fixed, I got the Detroit in there and they kept asking me when I was going to fix it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Mine goes click click click click when I turn, and KABOOM when I hammer the throttle halfway through the turn, did I mention I run 300hp and 325 ft. lbs. torque /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Once my front end stayed in my lane, and my rear went in the other lane /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You guys are really making me rethink my decision to run a Detroit in my truck. I was originally going to weld the 14 bolt, but decided that the Detroit might be more livable on the street (I have to drive to the trails). </font color>

16. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

I drive everyday to school, work, and everywhere with a SM465/205 and a Detroited 14-bolt. Its not bad, it just makes noises and acts a little wierd SOMETIMES. A very minor annoiance to a sweet A$$ drivetrain setup.

17. mudhog

i dont regreat getting a detroit /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i love it i just wanted to make sure it was supposed to make as much noise as it does /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i would highly recomend getting one /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. Well, I've got a sort of similar setup, a manual three speed with a Rockwell T-221 transfer case and factory Detroit Locker. Every once in a while I do get a big bang but it's nothing that is annoying. Gets the attention of your passenger though. So far I have had no problem on ice or snow but when you do accelerate you do notice it pull to one side a bit. They are tough as hell and I would definitely use one again. Course it's gonna be difficult to find a replacement as my rear axle is an Eaton.